Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2010 XFR smart key stuck in docking station. Just replaced

Customer Question

2010 XFR smart key stuck in docking station. Just replaced battery. Still can't remove or start car
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: steering wheel is locked
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: key is an older one. I had replaced one of the remotes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not sure this remote was ever programmed to start the car
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
What warning message is on when you press the start switch? Were you having this problem before replacing the battery?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no warning message. The start button flashes red for a little bit then nothing.More background information... I have two remotes. One was a replacement remote for a lost key (let's call it #2). The other kept killing remote batteries about every 10 days (let's call it #1). I had the replacement remote (#2) programmed by the dealer to work with the vehicle - not sure about the status of #1. The car sat most of the winter without being started. I attempted to start it a couple weeks ago, but didn't appear to be enough charge. At that point, the car started making electrical noises, lights were flashing, etc. I used the remote key to lock the car. I'm not sure exactly what happened after that, but came back last weekend to try to get it started. I could not use the remote to unlock the car (assumed battery was dead). Called AAA to come jump start the vehicle. No initial success. Got a message about smart key not detected. Tried inserting #2 into the key slot, but it kept getting rejected. Inserted remote #1, it was accepted, but car acted like it was locked out. Disconnected my dead battery and tried jumping with the AAA starter, lights come on, console display lights up, Start button would not even light. Bought a replacement battery, but similar behavior. Start button lights, but no response, Can't get key out of slot