Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

On my 2004 Jag when I step hard on the gas petal the car

Customer Question

on my 2004 Jag when I step hard on the gas petal the car sputters and acts as if it will choke out.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts beautifully. Gas hog? Has always been no more now
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2004 xj8 Jaguar
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing reallyother than not stepping on the gas petal. Ha Ha. '
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what i have noticed is that when i use cruse control on highway car does not sputter when encouraged. This affect lasts for varying amounts of time after cruise control is off.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
When the problem occurs do any warning lights or messages come on? This on my occurs if you accelerate hard?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well i have an engine lite on already and it's been on for long time. I bought this car march 2014 in la. when i tried to register DMV wouldn't let me. It seems the car was bought from carmax auction by exporter. Car was suppose to be taken to mexico and could not be registered in states. Car had this problem then. Car sat for 2 years. I bought cheap car. Cheap car wont pass smog. Re-enter Jag. Got jag registered now this problem is interfering with my bliss
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can we talk on phone but tomorrow because i have to get ready for work. This would also give me a chance to re-familiarize myself with problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Ok since the light is on this may or may not be related to the issue. It could be a cylinder missfire from a failing ignition coil. I recommend we go to your local parts store to see if they have an OBD II scan tool we can use to retrieve the fault codes. They will be a P followed by four digits. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi again
I took my Jaguar from Fresno to Sacramento yesterday and so I have better info on my studering problem. While on freeway I had to pull over to check my tires. When I tried to get up to speed I had to step on gas hard. Jag would not pick up speed. Just studdered. I was just over 35mph so I used cruise control button to bring car up to speed to pull back into traffic. It worked beautifully. What ever is going on would seem to have something to do with the cruise control. Again after using cruise control car has no problem excellerating once cruise control is turned off for period of time. Period of time seems to be random. At lower speeds stepping on gas pedal hard will cause Jag to spudder and always just before 3000rpm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How does this work. I've signed up for a membership. Is this separate from membership and is it another $26 on top of membership
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?