Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 1997 Jaguar Van de Plaus and some times it will not…

I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Jaguar Van de Plaus and some times it will not start. If it will not start I turn the key and nothing, also when this happens I cannot get the car out of park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Because it is eratic makes it more interesting. My key is an original key. I do not remember if the steering wheel is locking or not. Right now it is starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Jaguar?

Van der Plaus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be looking to fix it myself. So far I have tried to isolate a selinoid that my be shorting fut no success. I tried remove some of the selinoids to see if I could simulate the problem without success

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it

4/12/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked for any loose, damaged or corroded battery cables or connections this needs done.If a fault is found with any of the wiring or connections this will need repaired to resolve this fault here.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked the battery connections and that does not appear to be the problem. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it to make sure, not successful. have to work during the day so I may not be able to right back to you.
I appreciate your help! Dennis

Hi Dennis.No problem just reply back when you can and I will do the same here.

Are you losing all electrical power with this issue here when this fault occurs to all components like lights,horn etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All electrical seems to be fine

If you push up on the shifter into park further and hold it there will it start and run then when this occurs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can pick up for the next 15 minutes. I drive a bus so i am on a schedule

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself but others see you have requested a call and may still call on this here.I can however continue here.

Let me know if you want to continue here,if not I can also opt out and allow others to see if they can help on this.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
rpmdiag
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not feel that it's a starter because when I turn ignition key on I cannot shift selector lever out of park when the system is working if I put it ignition switch on I can shift it out of park while not engaging the starter everything all the lighting system seems to be fine

I apologize for the delay.

Did someone call you on this to tell you that it is the starter?Did you still need help with this here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still need help

O.k.when you turn on the ignition is anything else electrical acting up at all or not working as well when this issue occurs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, everything else seems fine

O.k.,have you tried to push up and hold it in park or jiggle the shifter when this occurs to see if it starts then at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that when i get home later today and get back to you. Thanks for your help!

No problem.Reply back here when your ready.If I do not reply back right away I will as soon as I can.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well now it is starting! I'll have to wait to see if the issue turns
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not starting! I turned the key with my foot on the brake, and wiggled the shifter. No luck.
I pushed the release buttons for the shifter so i could put the shifter in neutral and tried to start, no luck.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this a scan tool I can get at a parts store? Do you recommend a particular scanner?
I have no error codes showing.

Unfortunately this will take a higher end scan tool like this one below and usually this has to be purchased online or from a tool supplier.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-DS708-Automotive-Diagnostic-Multilanguage/dp/B008XN7NUG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) do you think there could be an error even though there is no error code?
2) is there a brand scanner you'd recommend

It is possible to have an error with no code but usually a code sets in one of the computers.I posted a link above to a recommended brand scan tool

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks this might take me a couple of days to work thru this. Happy Easter weekend

No problem and Happy Easter to you as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done some more trouble shooting. I find that if I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect the car will start. After sitting for a period of time it will not start and I cannot move the selector switch. I believe that a switch connected to the shift selector is over heating and then shutting down.
Is there someone you have that can look up the electrical system for my Jag and see what switch is connected to the shift lever?

Your shifter has a mode selection switch built into it.This switch can fail or act up like you are seeing here and cause issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there a picture or link I can go to so I can view the mode selector switch? Thanks - happy Monday

Unfortunately I do not show a picture of this here myself.You might be able to get a picture from a local parts store or dealers parts department.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to check for a short circuit on the selector switch. It appears it's not to difficult to remove.

The first thing you would want to do is to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set.Then from there those codes can be diagnosed to help with testing info as there should be at least one code set.This will require a higher end scan tool to read out these codes from all computers in your vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll work on that

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI- I finally got it fixed. I went on line and looked for a code reader compatible with my Jaf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't get to finish my message.
Got a compatible code reader for $39. Checked for codes twice and both times "no codes ".
So I reset the codes and bingo "problem solved".
I thought you might find this information helpful .
Have a great week!

I apologize for the delay.

That is great to hear it has been resolved.That is odd that no codes showed but using the clear codes function corrected the fault.If the issue does return let me know here.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician