Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Rter having engine detailsd.estricted Performance af Weird…

Rter having engine detailsd.estricted...

Rter having engine detailsd.estricted Performance af Weird that when it happens the AC blows hot 'Turn it off and back on and ac is fine. speed up and goes back in restricted mode maybe a vacuum line?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No. It's just like the vents open hot

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2008 S-Type V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-type V6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Typically my seld. Might go to parts house and have them read code

4/7/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 5 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Does the engine warning light come on as well? Do you have the four digit code number?
Wow typos were terrible...
Summary. Check Engine light with Restricted Performance Message. Had the car detailed and they pressure washed the engine. I suspect a hose but thought I'd check online first. Weird thing is that when the Restricted modes starts the AC starts blowing hot. Turn off car, restart - restricted performance message is gone.. AC is cold. still have check engine light. Step down on the gass and restricted message pops back up and AC starts hot again. Not looking for a big deal. Thought $ 5 was worth it. Don't care to pay $ 30+ for a general question. If answer is more expensive just let me know and refund my $ 5. Did not want a big hassle. Thanks...Answer: Yes engine light stays on. Restricted message goes away after restart. Comes back if I accelerate.
The ECM also controls the air conditioning compressor so the ECM may be de energizing it. Do you have the four digit code.
No 4 digit code.
I know where the ECM is. I'm going to check it for wires or hoses
definitely check the intake air tube and vacuum homes. Also inspect for any loose connections or anything that may have gotten wet. We will need a compatible scan tool to read the stored fault codes. Your local parts store should have a generic OBD II scan tool you can use.
Ok. Makes sense...2 Questions. 1.) What do I owe you for this? 2.) If I pay the $ 31 for a month would chats like this be included in the fee or do I pay something for each answer.I did look at what I think is the ECM and it looks like 2 big sets of wires connected near the firewall. I thought it might be wet but it looks fine. There is a single bolt I could take apart and clean and reconnect the 2 halves.If I can get this type of chat for $ 31 a month it is reasonable. I have 2 Jags a 2008 S Type and 2004 XK8. I Iike to do what I can but I'm ok to take to a mechanic if it's major. I just like to make good decisions. Thanks in advance...Follow on question. If I pay the $31 per month would a chat If I get the 4 digit code be part of the monthly service... I've also seen some $ 20 code readers on amazon that are Wi-Fi or IOS. Might get one for these type inquiries. Thanks again.
The charge is for this question. This post will stay open for as long as you need and we can discuss anything regarding this problem. You can choose a subscription if you would like. Once you provide a positive rating you actually authorize the payment. Yes reply back with the code to this post.
What is the charge for this 1 question? I'm going to do some checking and probably go to auto store and check the code. I should know more in an hour or so...
It is a $31.00 deposit. Yes let me know.
Ok...Some progress in knowledge but still issues... After a reasonably thorough inspection, no hoses or wires appear out of place. Took the car to the auto parts and diagnosed the code. P0305 is the result. The attendant said it was #5 Induction Coil failure. $ 40 for the part but since it is at #5 position under the intake manifold, the manifold would have to be taken off. He also suggested it might be best practice to replace the plug also. Your opinion on the code and his diagnostic are appreciated. At 79,000 miles is it time for new plugs and new induction coils? What do you recommend?Additionally as I drove to and from the parts house (15 min each way) the Restricted Performance message appeared and disappeared. Usually went away when I idled to a stop. On the way back I stopped at a store for 10 min and then the Restricted Performance did not come on during the trip home. However, the air conditioner went to full HOT. I TUREND IT OFF, AND BACK ON... STILL HOT. CHANGED THE TEMP TO 62 - IT IS 69 OUTSIDE...;-) (sorry for caps) Turned AC to Auto. In all cases it blew HOT. With force like the sensors were messed up.My evaluation is I have a Induction Coil problem and probably some sort of ECM AC control problem. My fear is that the ECM is malfunctioning although it may be sending incorrect commands due to bad input.Can you advise how I can diagnose what is causing the AC problem? As mentioned before I could turn off the car and restart and the AC went back to cool. Must be some sort of control problem.So net net: What is your recommendation on the Code P0305 and is this a layman repair or does it require a qualified mechanic (or dealer)? Second what can I do to figure out what is going on with the AC?Many Thanks... GeneAlso... It's strange that the Restricted Performance problem and the AC problem started at the same time... That's the odd thing that made me go online to look for a solution in the beginning. I just don't see the connection unless it's the ECM as you mentioned earlier... I generally like mysteries but this one has me baffled.
Ok. I'm Ok with the $ 31.00 charge. It has actually already been billed to my credit card.I would like to understand what is going on with the AC and the Restricted Performance mode is now only happening when I accelerate hard. After it sitting overnight I took it out on the interstate and eased it up to 70 MPH. Drove about 20 minutes and it seemed smooth. Stepped down on the gas and Restricted mode popped up again. Stopped - turned off - back on and no restricted mode. Drove ok all the way home... The auto parts guy said if it's an ignition coil P0305 that it has to be replaced. Looked online and #5 is a 3-4 hour hassle removing intake manifold. Can an ignition coil work sometime and break down under load? Or could I have some other sensor or ECM problem? I understand if something is broken but intermittent is strange. And that the AC starts blowing hot when the Restricted Mode starts is weird.So I respect your opinion so it's worth paying the fee as I don't want to proceed with a $ 400 - $800 repair unless I have a good plan. If I have to pull the manifold, I think I should replace all plugs and ignition coils? I don't want to start on a repair plan based on an auto parts guy's opinion.

I would actually replace all three coils, all spark plugs and all intake seals since it has to be removed. Wonder of the a/c is related or not. Could be a problem with the compressor or climate control sensor turning off the compressor. Could even be the relay.

usually these coils do fail once hot like driving under load for a while.

For the a/c we need to see if the compressor clutch is engaged when the a/c starts to blow warm

Richard, Jaguar Technician