Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

My transmission fault and engine fault lights are on. Car…

Customer Question
My transmission fault and...

My transmission fault and engine fault lights are on. Car seems to be running ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

A transmission icon and words that say transmission fault. Same for engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2004 XJ8, 100,000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I doubt that I have the skills to fix it myself. I haven't tried anything yet. I'm just trying to get a feel of what to expect. Many dishonest repair shops in this area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know. What information will he need?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
3/21/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The messages you see coming on on the dash indicate the PCM has detected a fault with the engine or transmission components.Most likely the faults are related with one component causing both messages/lights to come on like you see here.There are several components on your vehicle here on and in the transmission and engine that can cause this issue.

With no running or shifting issues this may be a small sensor or inexpensive sensor needing replaced.

Unfortunately there isnt a way to diagnose this issue without knowing what codes are set from here.You will need to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read the computers in your vehicle to read out these codes.Once this is done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.Most shops or a dealer can read out and diagnose as well as repair the fault.Diagnosis for the fault can run around $100 in most cases.Repair can vary all depending on what is at fault from around $50 to over $500 in some cases.

You can also get the fault codes checked at a local parts store in most cases at no charge to you.They wont be able to diagnose the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault.If you can get the codes read out and post that code info here this will help me help determine the fault here or give you a better idea of cost for repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete