Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I bought a 2002 Jaguar x-type, 2.5L Automatic. transmission…

I bought a 2002 Jaguar...
I bought a 2002 Jaguar x-type, 2.5L Automatic. transmission goes forward but it feels like its in Limp mode. It goes into reverse and the reverse lights come on but it doesn't move in reverse. I drained the Tranny fluid and it is very very dark. I talked with a Jaguar specialist up in Portland and he told me I probably need a new transmission. I was wondering what your opinion was. I sourced a used transmission from the local wrecking yard for $500. I was just hoping not to have to pull it out.
3/8/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

when you drain the fluid ,was there any small metal shavings in the fluid .

been dark is not a good sign, looks like they never replaced the fluid, all you can do is refill it and test it ,if you still have the same issue , be cheaper just to replace then fix this one

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there was no signs of metal shavings in the fluid. Just dark and very burnt. My question would be....should I drain and refill a 3 or 4 times that will cost me maybe $150 or should I just buy the $500 transmission from the wrecking yard and still have to do the $150 fluid change?

For $500 for another transmission, I would just replace it and you are right, the fluid will cost 150 and there is 50% want work,

that will be my advice to you on it ,but do replace the fluid in the used unit you are buying of course .

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am till Late Eastern Time Zone

Please Read below How to get Back in Touch with Me

Please Remember to Kindly Rate My Answer Using The Stars At Top of The Page

A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your rowser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscribtion A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Wow is pretty burned ,I doubt the new fluid will make it work just from a fluid change

Chad Farhat