Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 VDP will not crank over. Battery is good. Did this a…

2004 VDP will not...

2004 VDP will not crank over. Battery is good. Did this a couple days ago, but then started the next day.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes, the car runs great. Nothing happens when you hit the start position with the key. And a bunch of alarms display - Transmission Fault, DCS not available, park brake fault, ABS fault. Like we have an electrical gremlin.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Vdp yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried a master reset, battery off, drained, reconnect. Thats it so far. Since it happened a few days ago then worked perfectly, i don't think its a starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The security light does not blink when trying to start, and the car is in Park with the red P lit.

3/1/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 5 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Can I have the last six of your VIN? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON foot on the brake when the engine will not start?
Sorry for the delay, I'm at work today and we left the car in a parking lot. Yes, the car will shift out of park. VIN ends in G29432.
I tried starting in neutral also with the same result. If we can trace this to a simple procedure or likely component, I would fix it myself.
Sounds like we may have a problem with the vehicle high speed network. This can be difficult to diagnose without a Jag factory tool but we can perform some tests with a digital multimeter. I first recommend we double check the battery and cable connections as low voltage can be the cause. Also try disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable for about thirty minutes to see if the vehicle resets. Let me know.
Checked the battery voltage and it was a little low, 12.08V. Jumped it from my truck and it started and ran perfectly with no warning lights or messages. Drove to a battery store, installed new battery and now it again won't start. Battery was disconnected for maybe 20 minutes while changing it. Same symptoms. Tried a jump without success. Seems it has to sit for close to a day, then it will work and work fine till turned off. I will try this again tomorrow along with a longer "reset" period.

Keep me posted with any updates.

Sorry, busy day. Voltage is fine measured at battery. New charged battery, disconnected 2 hours, same symptoms, no crank even a day later.
My wife noted the drivers seat stopped moving for exit when the key was turned off shortly before this problem surfaced.
What can I do to further isolate the problem?
Is the vehicle currently not starting? Do you have a digital multimeter to perform some tests?
Will not crank. I have a digital multimeter and battery is fully charged.
OK with the battery disconnected locate the diagnostic data link connector under the driver side dash. Place one of your meter leads to pin 6 and the other meter lead to pin 14. Set the meter to resistance and tell me what you read.
Battery disconnected. 6-14 reads 60.3 ohm.
OK tha. That is actually a good reading. Reconnect the battery and turn the ignition ON. Look at the red security light at the top of the dash and tell me what it does.
Came on with key. Steady maybe 2 seconds then off.
the shifter is releasing from park and illuminating all the gears correct.
Correct. Can move shifter and indicator lights on.
Go to fuse #19 (25 amp) for the starter motor. Jump power there momentarily to see if the starter engages. I wonder if the internal relay in the engine fuse box is faulty.
That kicks the starter. But I dropped the fuse. Time to go digging.
Fuse is back in. Thank you Jaguar for having spares.
What is the next step?
Are you all closed on weekends? Salvage yards here close in a couple hours.
Is the engine fuse box likely problem?
Sorry for the delay. Yes that is a possibility. I will look through the diagram when I get back into shop as we can do some tests with a digital multimeter.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
When I didn't hear back, I changed out the engine fuse box (patience is not one of my strengths). The car starts and runs fine now. Thank you for your expert help.