Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2005 XK8, Cruise Control Not Available/Check Rear Lights

Customer Question

2005 XK8, Cruise Control Not Available/Check Rear Lights message. I replaced the Brake Light/CC switch and the check rear light message disappeared, but the CC not available message is still coming up as I move away after stating. I know that an "Iffy" battery can cause many error messages so I replaced the battery with a new Bosch unit. CC not available message still there. The car does not have adaptive Cruise control. The only thing I can think of is a wheel sensor, but that should generate a ABS/stability control error I am thinking?
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: I didn't think that there was a CC fuse...
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Brake switch, new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car does not have ACC/adaptive cruise control
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Did you ever have the system scanned for the stored fault codes? Do you have the cruise on/off switch by the shifter? If so does it turn on and off?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My OB2 scanner does not display any fault codes. When I operate the master on/off button below the shifter the message alternates between "Cruise Control Not Available" and "Speed Limiter Not Available".
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

OK since you do not have adaptive cruise the system is fully controlled by the ECM. I know you replaced the brake switch but I am wondering if the new one may be defective. Another possibility is a problem with the clockspring providing the ECM a bad signal from the switch. We may need a more advanced tool to read all the fault codes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What tool would that be?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

A tool that has Jag software. Autel, Launch, snap on all make these types of tools but that are costly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have an Autel AL519
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Ok that is a good tool but it is a generic OBD II tool and does not have manufacture specific capabilities where we can read all the ocdes in the ECM, ABS and TCM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I got an iCarsoft i930 that is Jaguar/Land Rover specific that reads DTCs and I get a U1041 and U2012.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

In which module are these codes logged?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I show U1041 as SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Speed
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Does it state which module? ECM, TCM, ABS, Instrument Cluster? Can you communicate with all these modules?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been gone, will check tomorrow...
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

OK let me know.