Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I can't get it into neutral because of a dead battery, I…

Customer Question
I can't get it...

I can't get it into neutral because of a dead battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I just put in a working battery from another car. I have lights, radio eto. I need to move it but can't get it into neutral?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

Xjs 1989

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ-S yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just need to move it as request of my condo association.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/23/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check that the P is illuminated up on the shifter. If any other gear is illuminated up then the usual cause are loose shifter cable bolts. You need to jack up the driver side of your vehicle and follow the shifter cable to where it attaches to the transmission. You should see two 8mm bolts which may be loose or even have fell out. If the P is lite up make sure your brake lights work. If they do then the fault is usually the actuator in the shifter. There is a manual over ride. Pop off the wood grain and move the lever on the driver side on the shifter to release it from park.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you