Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a huge problem, my jaguar is 2006 x-type and today…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a huge problem, my jaguar is 2006 x-type and today while driving it just stopped at the light (thank goodness) the engine light, oil light and battery light came on,

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Then after about 2 minutes it started back up ... this happened about 4 weeks ago yes the batter is less than a year old and

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

About 2 weeks ago a new hose was put in, before that the engine light was on and the code was "fan modulator" I am clueless, usually my husband would take care of auto items but he has recently passed away, so the budget is extremely tight I can take to the dealer, but need some type of starting point i have used this forum before about 3 years ago for a question

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

You could hear a stuttering sound, really faint before the car died did it twice within an hour and a half

11/20/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

When the engine stalled did it then crank but not start? Did this occur after you were driving it for a long distance?

i had been driving for about 15 minutes, it felt like a huge brake push or something then it turned itself off. I put the car in park, took out the key and it started but up the first time. About 40 minutes later it happened again while at a stop light, it stuttered a little bit then turned itself off, I put it in park while at the light and this time, it cranked about 2 times, then on the third time it started back up and drove fine. Both times I was doing between 35 to 45 no more.
I look forward to the response as a starting point, will I pay the additional payment when the final response is sent?

Ok this could be caused by a few different things. Based on everything we discussed it sounds like we may have a fuel delivery problem specifically with the in tank fuel pump. They sometimes can quit once they get hot and will then start to work again when they cool down after a minute. I first recommend we have the vehicle scanned for any stored fault codes. We also should check the battery and cable connections to make sure all is clean and secure. Also look at the air intake tube and hoses for any damage.

that make some sense because at times after driving once parked it did seem like something had been burning just a little bit, like a faint rubber smellalso, their are no lights on (example engine light) it only comes on when the car stopped, it felt like an immediate stall, then the oil, battery and engine light came on, then the car turned off. Once it started up, the lights went off

A lot of times when these pumps start to go they do not leave fault codes or turn on any lights. The reason why thoe lights came on is because the engine did stall.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
wow, you have been great, I will take to a mechanic with your guidance. I thank you so very much, you assisted me with a question about 3 years ago. I have not had any problems with this car, until recently, it now has 102,000 miles on it