Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

99 Jag. XK8. Replaced all the hoses for the top and finally

Customer Question
got it to work fine...
99 Jag. XK8. Replaced all the hoses for the top and finally got it to work fine but now, I put the top down, took it for a drive came home, put the top up and it stopped, just before latching. Apparently blew the fuse. No clue where it is and also suspect that there is more to it. Any ideas where the fuse is to check, how to check and what I have to buy to end this. Thanks
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Trunk and engine compartment....forgot if there's one in the cabin?
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm 70 and retired, $$$ fix myself. I can't find any fuse location manual for it. Maybe lost or it never came with it. I bought it for my wife back in 2004 before I retired from the Navy, still have it. Just pulled the 'checkable' fuses but am hunting in the dark. I figured it had to be a large fuse, 30 amp plus but have no clue as to the location or how to check it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 3 days by:
11/17/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Look in the trunk and the fuse for the top is fuse #14 (40 amp)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Richard:
Thanks however it appears the fuse is blown and the fuse costs $20.00.
What happens if I replace the fuse and it just blows it again.
I need to know WHY the fuse blew? Just knowing where it is, isn't worth much.
Any ideas? I am familiar with pump overpressuring and pressure relief valve systems sold online by 'Gus' at the Jag forums.
Please share any ideas you have as to beyond what to do and how to check the fuse.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's the problem as I stated in my last reply just knowing the fuses blown doesn't do me any good plus there is no fuse locator number in the trunk I was aware of number 40 the problem is you can't tell what position fortyish furthermore as I said last time as I wrote last time replacing a $20 fuse each time without knowing Gives me no answer from you at all the deeper questions are what's causing the fuse to blow that's what I'm asking you otherwise your reply isn't worth anything to me.

The fuse is #14 (40 amp) in the trunk fuse box. Yes if the fuse is blown the pump could definitely be the problem or a restriction in the system causing it to over work. You should be able to get a bag of 40 amp fuses and there should even be spare fuses on the bottom of the fuse box cover taped to it. We would need to install an ammeter to see how much current the pump is using. We can also do a resistance check on the motor with an ohmeter. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
RichardI left home at 4 AM this morning and won't be home till January 15 but will continue the conversation then thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did NOT answer my question. You did not even tell me where the #14 fuse is, since the fuse box is unmarked, plus, I will not be home again until mid January. I do NOT want to pay for an unanswered question and your answer did not address my REAL issue which is why the fuse blew in the first place.
Can we pick this up in Jan when I get back home?
Richard, Jaguar Technician