Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Dash lights are on but engine won't turn over, the dashboard…

Dash lights are on...

Dash lights are on but engine won't turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

The dashboard bulbs are fine - dash lights are on, fan is working, etc. but there is no response from the engine when I turn on the key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2004 xj8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had battery on trickle charge - but I don't think it is the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vehicle has been sitting in the garage for 2 months - but there was no problems when I parked it

11/3/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 5 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Is the P lite up red on the shifter when you turn the ignition to the ON position? If so will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?
the P lights up - but I can't move the shifter from the Park position
Do your brake lights work. Any warning messages on?
little red light in the center of dash by the windshield is flashing - the warning says that there is a Park Brake issue and the ABS light is onthe brake lights work
OK the security system or electronic control module inhibiting starting. First confirm battery connections are clean and secure. Then make sure the inertia switch has not tripped. It is located behind the driver side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top of it to reset it. Let me know.
battery is clean and connections are good - I pressed the inertial switch but it didn't seem to click or anything. didn't seem to make any difference
OK try disconnecting just the negative battery terminal cable for about thirty minutes. Then reconnect it and see if the vehicle systems will reset.
Disconnected the battery - didn't work- have now sent to a garage

Ok before proceeding with any repairs let me know so I can confirm the diagnosis and cost estimate. Could be a battery with a bad cell.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Ok thanks