Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Just replaced my transmission gearbox with a used one, but I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, just replaced my transmission gearbox with a used one, but I am experiencing problems...oil level is good, but it is making sounds when driving and in neutral
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: just did it with the proper oil 2032
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: xk8 1998 ZF
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixed it myself with a friend who has a jaguar shop...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well, the transmission was revised 40.000 km ago, according to the company i bought it from. We built it in and put oil in it according to the standard procedure. Then we had to adjust the cable, since it was not hitting the gears properly
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Can you describe the noises it is making? Is there a gearbox fault warning on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard, I am Dutch, so not really familiar with the proper wording on the sounds...sorry. I will try though.
In Neutral and after a short run it sounds like boiling sounds.
When driving and hitting the gas (but not to much, no kick down or what so ever) squeeking
in neutral and hitting the gas a bit, you can hear metal sounds
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this morning I started the car and it geared a bit bumpy. after a mile the Transmission Error? light went on. stopped and started again and the light was off
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Sounds like possibly low fluid. How was it checked?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I checked it at a temperature of appr 30 degrees, opened the plug on the right hand side (there are two, the one on the far back of the rhs.
Oil drops out. Added oil with running engine and hit all the gears and then back to P
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could it be the oil pump?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Difficult to say since I cannot hear the noise but based on everything we discussed and my experiences it is most likely the torque converter or front pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just bought this gearbox and probably will have guarantee on it...I will contact the company tomorrow, and let them take care of it. Thank you so much for your thoughts!