Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Tried to get smoged but they told me the cat converter

Customer Question

tried to get smoged but they told me the cat converter monitor won
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 't reset
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: xj8 2002
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: auto shop did the test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

Ok, has the battery been recently disconnected or the check engine light on recently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
new battery
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the cat converter monitor won't reset
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, have you just been driving it around to try to get it to reset, or have you done the condition based drive cycle

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

this is the drive cycle to perform to set the catalyst monitor to readiness to pass emissions testing

2002 Jaguar XJ-8 Sedan (X308) V8-4.0L (AJ27)

Save Article

CATALYST EFFICIENCY MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 75 degree C (167 degree F).

2. With the gear selector in Park or Neutral, hold the engine speed at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.

3. Drive vehicle for 10 minutes ensuring that vehicle speed exceeds 15 km/h (10 mph) and the engine speed exceeds 1500 rpm.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
il tried the drive cycle but the cat converter monitor still did not reset. any other ideas
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

The only other reasons would be due to a marginal catalytic converter that although doesnt set a P0420 code, is degraded enough to prevent the monitor from setting, or less likely but possible, a low voltage condition at the ECM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can they test for the low voltage condition at the ECM otherwise i'll just change the cat converter
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

yes, a scan tool can be used to test the ecm and voltages to it