Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2010 jaguar xf 4.2l has codes p2444 p0414 2096 and 2098. the

Customer Question

2010 jaguar xf 4.2l has codes p2444 p0414 2096 and 2098. the secondary air injection pump is getting a constant ground on both wires. when i removed the relay the ground goes away. i ohm tested the green white striped wire from the relay to the connector at the secondary air pump and the wire passed the ohm test. so i then ohm tested the wire from the connector to ground i didn't get a reading so the wire isn't grounding out from the fuse box to the pump when the relay isn't installed. any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
any help on where the power is sent to the relay from
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my wiring diagram says that is comes from a gy-ye wire from the ecm and the only wire of that color that i found on the ecm is at pin 78 or 79 and all that it gets at the computer is ground
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i found pin 50 on the other connector of the ecm to be gy-ye and to be getting a ground. is it supposed to be getting a ground from the ecm or is it supposed to be getting power
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

is fuse F12 50 AMP RED FUSE for Air injection secondary pump is that good did you check it will be in the underhood fuse box ?

is fuse F27 5 AMP TAN FUSE fro air injection is that good

you have 2 grounds on it , you are missing power ?

can you activate the air pump if you give power to it straight with it unplugged from car ?

are you getting P0411 also ?

TSB

CONDITION SUMMARY: Situation: On certain 2010 model year Jaguar XF vehicles equipped with the 4.2L V8 engine only, the engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0411 stored in the Engine Control Module. The On-board diagnostic strategy may experience a false detection of Secondary Air Injection (SAI) performance (the calibration indicates an error exists with pump pressure or check valve operation where none exists). NOTE: Vehicles between R46314 - R63008 must be repaired in conjunction with RECALL J016. Action: Dealers are required to HOLD all affected vehicles within their control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new or used vehicle sale pending completion of the rework action detailed in this bulletin. Sold vehicles should be repaired at the first available opportunity. Refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to update the ECM software. To identify repaired vehicles, US dealers must complete and install a Service Action 'Authorized Modifications' label on the radiator support panel. California dealers are required by the California Code of Regulations to complete a salmon-colored 'Vehicle Emissions Recall - Proof of Correction' certificate. This form must be provided to the customer for vehicles registered in California when the Recall work has been completed.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when you unplug the secondary air injection pump you can add power and ground and it works fine. once you plug it in you can't get it to work by injecting power. i tried to remove the relay and inject power to the pump and all that happened was my relay on my power probe blew

okay

do you have a P0411 ? and are the fuses good that i mentioned ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i checked both of those fuses and they are fine. the wire that goes from the relay to the pump doesn't get any ground at the relay until you plug the pump in and then it gets a constant ground. i have considered that the pump could be faulty but i can give the pump power and ground when it is unplugged and it works fine. all of the fuses in the box are good and no i don't have a p0411 code. the only codes that i have are p2444 p0414 p2096 and p2098

The DTC Description

P0414 is Secondary air injection pump Switch Valve A is Shorted

Trouble shoot : the Air Vacuum solenoid Injection circuit for short to ground or high resistance

The AIR (secondary air injection) pump is used to provide a supply of air into the exhaust manifolds during the cold start period of the engine. The AIR (secondary air injection) cycle lasts for up to 65 seconds( with engine cold as soon as you crank have your test light set up , do you have power when engine is cold and pump supposed to come on , it will only runs for 65 secs or less ?

is the vacuum line on the map attached good no leaks ?

is the pressure sensor has power on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Secondary Air Injection Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Removal

check that senosr vacum line and connector

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the vacuum line is good and the connector is good. it has 5 volts on one wire 1. 5-2.0 volts on another wire and ground on the third wire
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the one that i tested was located right next to the pump, where is the map sensor located
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the map sensor is locates in the back of the intake, it has 5 volts 2.2 volts and 1 ground. there is no vacuum line on the map sensor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
some help would be nice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
THE FIRST SENSOR THAT I TESTED IS ALSO A MAP SENSOR AND THE POWER TO IT IS FINE. I HAVE PULLED THE SECONDARY AIR INJECTION CONTROL VALVE SOLENOID OUT OF THE VEHICLE AND I OHM TESTED IT WHICH RESULTED IN 0 RESISTANCE INITIALLY AND THEN A CONSTANT 75 OHM RESISTANCE. WHAT RESISTANCE SHOULD IT HAVE IF IT IS GOOD?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would appreciate it is I good get the proper ohm reading on a good secondary air control valve solenoid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i would appreciate it if i could get the proper ohm reading on a secondary air control valve solenoid so that i can either replace the solenoid or due further diagnostics on what is causing this problem
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i guess that i'm wasting my time so i will just pull that vehicle outside and work on something else that i can actually make money on