Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

1998 xj8l shifter stock in park no engine cranking by

Customer Question
turning key relased with screwdriver...
1998 xj8l shifter stock in park no engine cranking by turning key relased with screwdriver locksolenoid able now to shift to neutrol engine now starts waths the proplem thank you
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: the car is in neutral the only way to start engine
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8L yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i owne swiss motor mercedes and bmw shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no clicking noise in park by pushing brakepedal shifter locked in pak no start only if manual disingage solnoid shift to nuetral the car starts
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is the only question i have no membership please thank you
Answered in 1 day by:
8/23/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases this can be due to an internal electrical fault with the shifter assembly itself.There is a solenoid or electronics in it that can fail and causes this issue here.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool this needs done to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician