Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehciles
45790705

Just bought a used 1997 XK8Convertible- managed to lock my

Customer Question

Just bought a used 1997 XK8Convertible- managed to lock my key and remote in trunk last week. Obtained a new Black key (no valet) and can start the car- but still can't release the trunk lid (no physical trunk key on that model)
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine turns over, starts and runs fine- just can't get the trunk to release with button- get notification "Valet Mode" even though I'm using the black key (remote is still in trunk) I just got the car a week ago- getting a spare remote and key were on my list- guess I waited too long
JA: What is the model of your '97 Jaguar?
Customer: XK8 Convertible
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just got the new key from Dealer Thursday- That got me in the door and car started and driving. I had lockout service come by- they were no help- Unfortunately my work computer is locked in the trunk too! And I need it for work Monday!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I used to own a range rover and their manuals had ways to rest soe of the security features (certain key setting and combo of taps on headlight stalk I think- do you know if Jaguar has a similar way to reset security or valet feature?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

you have to go thru the back seat now

if no other keys available

the idea is to get to these cables and pull on them with a long reaching handle of some sort you have to creative

pull the back seat out .

1997 Jaguar XK-8 Convertible (X100) V8-4.0L (AJ26)

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Removal 1. Remove trunk floor carpet. 2. Remove trunk rear finisher.

Zoom and Print Options

3. Remove tape securing lock mechanism harness and disconnect harness multiplug.

Zoom and Print Options

4. Slacken and remove lock mechanism securing bolts.

Zoom and Print Options

5. Position lock mechanism for access and disconnect lock barrel operating cable.

Zoom and Print Options

6. Disconnect trunk lock actuator operating cable
7. Remove lock mechanism from trunk lid.

Installation
1. Position lock mechanism in trunk lid.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Connect trunk lock actuator operating cable.

of course this done with trunk open , just trying to give you an idea what to expect if you made it thru rear .

Zoom and Print Options

3. Connect trunk lock barrel operating cable.

Zoom and Print Options

4. Position and fully seat lock mechanism and fit but do not tighten securing bolts.

Zoom and Print Options

5. Connect trunk lock harness multiplug.
6. Close trunk lid, and check lock for satisfactory operation.
7. Open trunk lid adjust lock position as necessary and fully tighten securing bolts.
8. Secure harness to trunk lid with linen adhesive tape.
9. Fit trunk rear finisher.
10. Fit trunk floor carpet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- I will try this and let you know the outcome - more involved than I thought so I may not get to this today -Thanks
Ok sounds good
I m online usually from 10 am till 12 pm
So just let me knowA positive rating is much appreciatedThis post will stay open for you to come back and ask any follow up questions you may have on this issue even after you rate meThank You
Chad