Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have a 2004 xj8 jaguar with 102,000 miles, before I started the engine yesterday it show this message transmission...

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2004...
Hello, I have a 2004 xj8 jaguar with 102,000 miles, before I started the engine yesterday it show this message transmission fault dsc not available bud I drove it and everything was normal, but this morning I try to started and it do nothing, all electrical works, lights, radio, . but if I turned the key to try to started it the same message appears transmission fault, dsc not available, are familiar with this issue?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
6/1/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** sounds like you either have a failure in the transmission module, or more commonly a failure in the transmission position sensor. When this sensor fails the computer cannot tell which gear you have put the transmission in. I would try putting it in neutral to see if it allows you to start it. If it does then it is bad. If not then the circuit will need to be tested with a voltage meter. A low battery can also cause this but that is not as common.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Bobby thank you for your answer, but How can I put the gear in neutral if I turned the key on to move the shifter it stays in parking (and does not move at all)

If you turn the key on and apply the brake pedal do you hear a clicking from the shifter? It will not move?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already apply the brake pedal all the way down when I turned the key on and I do not hear a clicking from the shifter It will not move, it just shows the transmission fault dsc not available message.

Have you checked to make sure that the battery is fine in the vehicle. If it is not above 10.5 volts then this will occur even if other circuits seem to work fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't checked the battery volts but I put a booster battery jumper direct in to the battery to see if it would help to start the car but it didn't help do you recommend to buy a new battery?

I would not waste money on a new battery without having the old one load tested first. If it is fine then the position sensor is the most likely issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Thank you for your help but I would like to know the name of the sensor or where i ca find it because I was looking on ebay and I only found this TPS THROTTLE BODY POSITION SENSOR or JAGUAR ENGINE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR AJ81284 (Fits: 2004 Jaguar XJ8) or if you have the item number on ebay i would appreciate.

It is the transmission position sensor on the transmission itself. I can see if I can get you the factory part number for it.

FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician