Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2006 Jaguar X type. Oct 2014 replaced AC compressor…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Jaguar X type. Oct 2014 replaced AC compressor and hose. Had to replace again 11 months later same dealer under warranty. Had accident, rear ended by a truck. Car started killing when driving. Running rough. Random, intermittent. Replaced spark plugs. Brought to Jag repair expert. Codes for coils. 73,881 miles on car. Replaced all six coils. Replaced fuel filter Aug 2015. Driven rarely. at 74,626 car is stalling again randomly. Gas tank won't fill up all the way, says full at 1/2 tank. Removed and replaced fuel tank vent valve and fuel tank vent valve solenoid. Now at 74,280 miles car is stalling intermittently. Seems to stop the kill if AC is turned off. Check engine lights on. Codes are for the coils on one side again, 2,4 and 6 and for P0442 and P0456 along with misfire codes. Help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I have a 2006 Jaguar X type. Oct 2014 replaced AC compressor and hose. Had to replace again 11 months later same dealer under warranty. Had accident, rear ended by a truck. Car started killing when driving. Running rough. Random, intermittent. Replaced spark plugs. Brought to Jag repair expert. Codes for coils. 73,881 miles on car. Replaced all six coils. Replaced fuel filter Aug 2015. Driven rarely. at 74,626 car is stalling again randomly. Gas tank won't fill up all the way, says full at 1/2 tank. Removed and replaced fuel tank vent valve and fuel tank vent valve solenoid. Now at 74,280 miles car is stalling intermittently. Seems to stop the kill if AC is turned off. Check engine lights on. Codes are for the coils on one side again, 2,4 and 6 and for P0442 and P0456 along with misfire codes. H

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?

AC works great. I have a 2006 Jaguar X type. Oct 2014 replaced AC compressor and hose. Had to replace again 11 months later same dealer under warranty. Had accident, rear ended by a truck. Car started killing when driving. Running rough. Random, intermittent. Replaced spark plugs. Brought to Jag repair expert. Codes for coils. 73,881 miles on car. Replaced all six coils. Replaced fuel filter Aug 2015. Driven rarely. at 74,626 car is stalling again randomly. Gas tank won't fill up all the way, says full at 1/2 tank. Removed and replaced fuel tank vent valve and fuel tank vent valve solenoid. Now at 74,280 miles car is stalling intermittently. Seems to stop the kill if AC is turned off. Check engine lights on. Codes are for the coils on one side again, 2,4 and 6 and for P0442 and P0456 along with misfire codes. H

2006 Jaguar X type 3.0 - 6 cylinder AWD vehicle
6/1/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Lets start with the stalling issue. Does it shut down after driving it for a while? Once it stalls will it start right back up?

randomly shudders and loses power, shuts off completely, check engine light on. If I turn off the AC it starts right back up. Once on a one mile trip it stalled three times in four blocks. Lights coded, Jag dealer changed out all six coils, new plugs, fuel filter replaced, cannister vent replaced, solenoid for exhaust replaced. Gas cap replaced. We just cleared all codes and took her for a ride. Only code is P1000 but it has not stalled yet to re-code that. When it did there were misfire codes, and P0442 and P0456.

FOr the misfire codes is it flagging all cylinders?

It was 1,3,5 but we replaced all the coils twice at the shop. Yesterday we cleared all codes. Drove about town with the AC off. Not one issue. Turned AC on 1/4 mile from home, no issues. Now we have only P1000 code. Should the repair shop or I have run the vehicle Evaporative System Monitor Drive Cycle "green" reset per the Jag technical bulletin we found? Does it really take 30 minutes of steady driving for the EVAP Test to be activated?
The green ECM drive cycle should be performed when the battery is disconnected or when fault codes are cleared. This resets the fueling adaptations. This is not the actual evap monitor. The evap monitor does take some time to complete and involves a specific drive cycle. The P0442 and P0456 are both leaks. We will need to have the system pressurized and smoke tested to see if there is a leak. I see you already had some parts replaced which is why it needs to be properly tested. As far as the stalling it seems like it may be temperature related since the engine is under more of a load when the air conditioning is on. Could be an ECM relay or even a faulty fuel pump. Those misfires could be a small vacuum leak from intake seals.
Richard, Jaguar Technician