Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XJL: My 08 XJL has been overheating , but only during

Customer Question

My 08 XJL has been overheating , but only during idling. No leakage anywhere, including water pu,p. Replaced thermostat ,no results.
Advised either Radiator or some blockage in engine itself.
What do u think?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is the cooling fan coming on high speed? How quickly does the engine overheat after starting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp gauge goes to red when car idles in stop & go traffic. Once car is running at speed over 30mph it returns to normal.
However when car idles you can hear fans going at high speed to cool engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp gauge goes to red when car idles in stop & go traffic once car is running at speed over 30 mph it returns to normal however when idles you can hear fans going at high speed to cool engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks. It could be a failing water pump. I see you had the thermostat replaced but in some cases the housings crack internally so that can also be the issue.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Another possibility is a partially restricted radiator since it runs hot when there is no air flowing past. These are things we need to check. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been advised that I should replace the radiator as the next step. If that fails then as you say the issue must be in the housing which may be cracked??? In that case , wld have to get a new engine which I may consider. Perhaps the water pump may be failing, but is not leaking. The car is a gem. & in mint condition & the last of the classics. I hate the new ones.
Thank you for your kind input.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
My recommendation would be to remove the thermostat to make sure the housing is not cracked internally. If not have the radiator checked and replaced. The water pump can also be inspected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've been very kind with all your input. Last question-- I would hope that it is just the radiator that I need to replace. However do u think it wise , if indeed housing cracked, to go ahead with an engine replacement?? The car as is only has 95k miles, so I just can't fathom as I've been told that the engine would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ? Or my time is up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know so I won t wait thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I don't think we have to worry about engine replacement as long as it has not been run or driven when overheating. A test can be done to see if we have exhaust gases in the cooling system. If the thermostat housing is cracked it can be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.