Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Jaguar XJL: My 08 XJL has been overheating , but only during

Customer Question
My 08 XJL has been...
My 08 XJL has been overheating , but only during idling. No leakage anywhere, including water pu,p. Replaced thermostat ,no results.
Advised either Radiator or some blockage in engine itself.
What do u think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/10/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Is the cooling fan coming on high speed? How quickly does the engine overheat after starting?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Temp gauge goes to red when car idles in stop & go traffic. Once car is running at speed over 30mph it returns to normal.
However when car idles you can hear fans going at high speed to cool engine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Temp gauge goes to red when car idles in stop & go traffic once car is running at speed over 30 mph it returns to normal however when idles you can hear fans going at high speed to cool engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
???
OK thanks. It could be a failing water pump. I see you had the thermostat replaced but in some cases the housings crack internally so that can also be the issue.
Another possibility is a partially restricted radiator since it runs hot when there is no air flowing past. These are things we need to check. Let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have been advised that I should replace the radiator as the next step. If that fails then as you say the issue must be in the housing which may be cracked??? In that case , wld have to get a new engine which I may consider. Perhaps the water pump may be failing, but is not leaking. The car is a gem. & in mint condition & the last of the classics. I hate the new ones.
Thank you for your kind input.
My recommendation would be to remove the thermostat to make sure the housing is not cracked internally. If not have the radiator checked and replaced. The water pump can also be inspected.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You've been very kind with all your input. Last question-- I would hope that it is just the radiator that I need to replace. However do u think it wise , if indeed housing cracked, to go ahead with an engine replacement?? The car as is only has 95k miles, so I just can't fathom as I've been told that the engine would need to be replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there ? Or my time is up ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know so I won t wait thanks
I don't think we have to worry about engine replacement as long as it has not been run or driven when overheating. A test can be done to see if we have exhaust gases in the cooling system. If the thermostat housing is cracked it can be replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.
You are very welcome.
Richard, Jaguar Technician