Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Jaguar: 99 Xk8 48K miles. Had it a couple of months. Bought

Customer Question
99 Xk8 48K miles....
99 Xk8 48K miles. Had it a couple of months. Bought from original owner's family. Car has seen very few miles in the past few years, although it has not been just sitting. They drove it. Starting problem. Began a couple weeks ago with intermittent no start. Cycled the key and it usually started on the first or second try. Last trip out, thought it would never start. After multiple cycling of the key, finally started. Since then, it only starts randomly. When I say no start, all the lights work, but it won't crank. When it will crank, engine turns at normal speed and it starts and runs perfectly. When the key is turned on, there's a clicking sound for a few seconds which may be the emission canister purge solenoid/valve. Sometimes starts from cold; other times not. Sometimes starts from hot just after turning off; mostly not. On one occasion, jumping it got the starter to engage. Voltage at battery when running is 13 or more. It's 12.67 just sitting. The battery does not run down when driving it This is what I have done: replaced the battery and charged it. Old one was only 20 months old, but Jag dealer replaced it anyway. Never gave me a straight answer about whether it was bad. I had the receipt; he replaced it. Removed and cleaned all the connections I could find. . .in the trunk, at each of the fuze boxes, ground strap, starter. None looked bad. Pulled out and wiggled all the relays in all the fuzeboxes. I have wiggled the shifter in park and neutral. No effect. Turned on and off the security system. No effect. Tried to check the codes with the OBDII, but not sure I got good information. It did show P1111, which the guy at the parts store said related to the mass airflow sensor. Another indication on the reader itself was replace evap emissions canister purge solenoid/valve. (this seemed to make sense given the clicking sound, but I cannot find any info on whether this valve would prevent the car from cranking.) Another was replace variable camshaft timing solenoid. I've read about the neutral safety switch and the micro switch that's part of it. When the car has started normally, I have not touched the shifter. Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but wanted you to know what I've already checked.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
5/8/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
When the engine does not start the shifter will release from park with the ignition ON and your foot on the brake? Did the dealer verify it not starting?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure I'm doing this correctly. . .Shifter WILL come out of park after no start with foot on the brake and ignition on. Jag dealer did not see the car as I was afraid to drive it there for fear I'd have to stop for some reason and couldn't get it started. Just took in the battery.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know if you got my response to your questions. . .you can call me at(###) ###-####if you like.
When the engine will not crank can the shifter be moved?
Richard, Jaguar Technician