Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ8L: 2006 xjl. Won't start. Turning ignition key only…

2006 xjl. Won't start. Turning...
2006 xjl. Won't start. Turning ignition key only makes the beeping sound warning signal when backing close to an object.
4/17/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Is the P lite up red on the shifter? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?
P is red. Will not shift out.For some reason the glove compartment locks too
OK this can be caused by a few different faults. First I recommend we check the battery and cable connections to make sure all are clean and secure. We also need to make sure the battery is fully charged as low voltage can be the cause. Next check the inertia switch to make sure it has not tripped. It is located behind the driver side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top of it to reset it. Let me know.
So, after securing terminal jump start the car?
Yes let's try boosting the battery.
Yes, it started. The battery is not 2 years old. Why would it die like that? i know before the last time it was driven 2 days ago the radio stopped working. It's working now.???
OK it could be a defective battery, weak charging system or something draining the battery. We first need to either fully recharge or replace the battery then test the charging system output with a digital multimeter.
Richard, Jaguar Technician