Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar XF Luxury: Cooling fans come stay on after car is off

Customer Question

Cooling fans come stay on after car is off for 5 minutes plus.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When the cooling fans are on this is an indication that the engine is running hotter than normal. I see a lot has been replaced already. A new thermostat and sensor should have come on the housing. Please make sure there is no air in the system. I usually vacuum fill these but if you can remove that bleeder on the expansion tank. Also make sure that we do not have any combustion leaks in case the head is warped. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heads were machined. Heater on high, front elevated, bleeder loose until steady stream. Did his twice afte cooling for a day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used scanner and temp was up to 195 and fans went off at about 180
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Wonder if we have a defective thermostat or possibly a clogged radiator. Check for proper flow and temp through the radiator. If unsure remove the radiator and send it out to be flow tested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Radiator flushed twice. After a few minutes, heat is being disapated through radiator. Installed a new thermostat housing from jaguar as the other was deteriorated. Bled and ran again, held a constant load on the engine stayed between 195 and 197 with scanner. Cut engine off and fans run until 185/186. What temp does the OEM thermostat open at.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OEM thermostat opens around 176 degrees F.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New thermostat still the same! Bled system several times. Operating at 195 to 200 reading from OBD2.