Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJ8L: I just went to take my 2006 XJ8L out of winter…

Customer Question
I just went to take...
I just went to take my 2006 XJ8L out of winter storage, and when I started to back up, I had to put it into park because I had to get out to move something, and the "R" remained lit up as if it was in reverse, but the shift lever's in :"park" and it won't come out of park and it won't start.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Jaguar
My husband unhooked the battery & hooked it back up thinking that might get the computer to rethink. The brake pedal feels unusually hard to him.
4/9/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
JagLandyFord
JagLandyFord, Jaguar Technician
Hi there.Firstly - with the engine not being able to start the brake pedal will become very hard - if you keep pumping it with your foot.This is normal - and will return to what you expect once the vehicle is started.Currently the vehicle will not start as the vehicle ECUs can see that the vehicle is stating it is in a Reverse gear rather than Park. The reason for the selector displaying R rather than P for Park could be caused by a snapped gear shift cable, a faulting gear selector assembly, a cable adrift at the gear shift selector or adrift at the transmission selector pivot. I would advise jacking the car up and securing safely on axle stands on one side to ensure it is safe.Then have one person underneath to inspect that the gearshift cable is still secured to the transmission gear shift pivot.If it is secure - then ask a person inside the vehicle to move the gearshift lever (ignition on and footbrake applied).If the lever moves inside the vehicle - but the cable does not move at the pivot point on the transmission underneath the vehicle - then the cable is possibly snapped. If it is moving as expected - then the fault could be with the gearshift lever assembly inside the vehicle.The sensors on the lever assembly could be sending incorrect readings to the transmission ecu. I hope this helps.Best regards(unfortunately I will be unavailable for further assistance for the next 10 hours minimum).