Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XJR SUPERCHARGED: I have a 2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged.

I have a 2004 Jaguar...
I have a 2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged. I left it in a heated garage for 4 months and when I returned to start again the battery was dead. I recharged the battery for 10 hours and tried again. All the lights and electrical worked but the engine will not crank or start. Just click noise. Have you any suggestions?
4/2/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
When you turn the ignition ON do any warning messages come on? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake? Does the remote lock and unlock the vehicle?
1. Did not see any warning sign. Will check again
2.The shifter will not release even with the ignition on.
3.yes remote lock works.
OK thanks. Is the P lite up on the shifter?
I am not sure , will check again the above two questions and respond to these queries by 12.00 EST. The car is parked at a different location.I may add that all electrical lights and dashboard lights works fine.
OK sounds good. The battery may have a bad fell and may not be able to take the full charge. We can remove it and take it to a parts store who can test it. Just don't close the trunk with the battery disconnected. Let me know.
Will message you from the garage, will that be okay.Thanks.
OK great.
The message comes when I insert the key" Transmission fault. The P lite lights up but the shifter does not work. Any other questions.
Ok this could be caused by a variety of electrical faults but I think we need to rule out the battery first. We also should check and make sure the inertia switch has not tripped. It is located behind the driver side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to reset it. Let me know.
Pressed it.. Still not starting.Leaving the garage anything else u want me to try.
Ok lets remove the battery and have it charged and tested. If it comes back good then we wil need a compatible scan tool and digital multimeter to perform some electrical tests.
Will let you know by Monday the results of battery test and what is required to deal with it.
Ok keep me posted. Hopefully it is just a bad battery.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Thanks Richard,
I am still not able to get the car going. If you think of something please let me know.
Was the battery charged and tested?
Hi Richard,
Do you know where is the manual shifter release on this 2004 XJR . My shifter does not move because I can not start the vehicle. This will help me get the vehicle towed. Txs.
You need to pop off the woodgrain surround on the shifter. Open the ashtray lid and using finger pressure pop it off. Then on the driver side of the shifter there is a lever that you need to move while you move it out of park.
Thanks.
No problem. Let me know.