Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I bought a 09 jaguar xf that was from an insurance auction.

Customer Question
Hi Richard, I bought a...
Hi Richard, I bought a 09 jaguar xf that was from an insurance auction. It came with 2 keys but the car won't recognize either one. Check smart key and smart key not found please insert in slot. I replaced the batteries in the remotes but still nothing. Is there a reset procedure for the key, or the car. I replaced the battery in the trunk also cause it was dead. But I disconnected it because I noticed the display screen blinking after I was done trying to start the car. So after being in an accident with no airbag deployment is this normal. Spoke to jag dealer they apparently looked at the car at one point before I bought it but once they told previous owner how much to diagnose it he refused service. Any ideas before I send it back to the dealer. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what sir
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
3/30/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Will both keys work in the dock? Can I have the VIN?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vin is sajwa05b19hr31219 both keys have new batteries and insert in slot then gives the message check smart key.

Ok so the keys do not work at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the keys don't do anything at all.

Ok we may have a problem with the keys. The keyless vehicle module performs the functions for the passive entry, remote and passive starting. The instrument cluster is responsible for the keys working in the dock. Unfortunately without access to the Jag factory tool it will be impossible to diagnose. We first would need to make sure all the control modules are communicating. Then we can try to reprogram the keys with the Jag tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jaguar of cherry hill NJ looked at it in Jan for the previous owner. Don't you think they would have checked the keys when they had it there? They told me 450 just to look at it. Can you call them and they can tell you what they did. They're gonna kill me on labor so I wanna check as much as possible before it goes back to them.

I would think they would have checked the keys. The dealer quoted you that price most likely to cover all the diagnosis time invlved in performing the diagnosis and programming of the keys and modules which will need to be tried first.

Richard, Jaguar Technician