Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Can I powder coat the original lattice wheels on my 1988

Customer Question

Can I powder coat the original lattice wheels on my 1988 XJS? I don't think that they are a magnesium alloy. The shop that will do it seems a little caviler. They want to burn off the old finish and then powder coat the wheels. Does this make sense?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Doc. Jaguar replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can. We hade a hard time with them as the alloy is aluminum but a very poor quality aluminum alloy. Dont be suprized if the coating starts to flake off in a few years.

And yes you will need to burn off the old coating and sand blast for best resultes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I was concerned about weakening the wheels in the process - the XJS is heavy and goes fast. Appreciate your response.

No problems, we do it all the time.