Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I've got an XJ8 2000 reg which makes a loud whirring sound…

Customer Question
Hi there - I've...

Hi there - I've got an XJ8 2000 reg which makes a loud whirring sound from the front left (passenger side) of the bonnet. Possibly near the wheel arch but unsure. Only happens when pulling away and only seems to last for 1st and 2nd gear. Reminds me of the sound you used to get if you jammed an empty Coke can on the back wheel fork of you bike as a kid...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Definitely much more prominent when cold/wet from what I can tell. Any ideas what it is and how serious it could be?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
FYI - Recently had a reconditioned gearbox installed and it changes gear very smoothly so doesn't feel like a transmission issue...
3/2/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Noises can be difficult to diagnose in this type of forum but we will try. Do you hear the noise in park or neutral? Do you hear the noise if you lightly power brake the vehicle in drive?

Hi Richard,
Understand this might be a tricky one - I can upload a recording if that would help? I'll record it at the weekend and let you hear for yourself.To answer your questions:
- No noise in Park or Neutral, only when pulling away
- Assume by Power Break you mean Handbreak (sorry, I'm in the UK) but I haven't tried this. I'll test at the weekend and let you know.Speak again soon,Chris

Yes recording may help. Thanks.

Hi Richard, sorry haven't got back to you - I've been ill unfortunately.
Will get you that recording shortly so you can hear exactly what it sounds like.
Speak soon,
Chris
Hi Richard,Right - recording can be viewed/downloaded at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eswptorhtv4ycfu/Video%2***-**-****%2C%2017%2009%2024.mov?dl=0You'll need to turn the volume up to hear it properly.This tends to be louder first thing on a cold/wet morning than later in the day after a journey or two.
But it's unpredictable. This recording was actually the first drive of the day, although it was late in the afternoon and not particularly cold/wet. This is much more quiet than usual.
It's only on pulling away - in fact the noise stops by the time the recording hits 5 seconds.Does this help you at all?Speak soon,Chris
Hi Richard,
Has the recording helped at all?
Speak soon,
Chris