Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have gh FRP I think, I have codes reading P0306 (Misfire

Customer Question
I have high FRP I...
I have high FRP I think
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have codes reading P0306 (Misfire Cylinder 6), p1314 (Catalyst Damage, Bank 2), and p1316 ... not sure if this is excessive misfire or injector circuit...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put some injector cleaner in and it is running good as of now. Checked the codes and still the same. FRP is 54.8, I think I have read it shouldn't be above 50....
2/27/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you give me the year, make and model of the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 Jaguar X Type 2.5L

Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by a bad fuel injector on the #6 cylinder. These are a common failure. I typically do an ohm test of the injectors. That injector is probably way off. If the injectors are fine then it is more than likely the ignition coil. I am assuming though that the plugs have been checked and are fine. Most of the time only the injector will act fine at times. I would start there. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed my lower/upper intake gaskets and spark plugs. I am definitely vacuum leak free as well. I would have to take off my manifold to really get to my injectors to do an ohm test, which as you know is quite a task. Is there any other way to isolate the problem? Is there anything we can infer from the freeze frame data I uploaded to you..?

You can test the injector if you can access the harness going to it. It is not easy though. If you can send the data I will take a look at it. You should be able to attach it here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. What does the high fuel pressure tell us though? My FRP is 54.8 , what is the problem that is causing that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you see this? >>>>>I have codes reading P0306 (Misfire Cylinder 6), p1314 (Catalyst Damage, Bank 2), and p1316 ... not sure if this is excessive misfire or injector circuit...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for the questions, but this car is my life man and i dont have money to put it in the shop. have already dumped a bunch into. i dont really have the time to take off my manifold again but if you think thats what will help then i will. I will pay you if you help me get my car back running smooth man.

You have a misfire code for number 6 associated with the 1316 which is associated with a cylinder injector issue. Your catalyst code is because of the misfire. The misfire will affect the catalyst.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OKAY. THAT MAKES SENSE. Thanks man, okay.. so i will try to test the injectors. would it be on the bank 1 side of the fuel rail? Since it is cylinder 6 it is inline with spark plug #6?

Yes, injector 6 is in the same place at the #6 spark plug. It is the left side front cylinder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome man. Thank you so much. Im going to test it tomorrow and get back to you. What time are you on tomorrow?

Sounds good. I will be off and throughout the day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way I can check my injectors without having to remove my manifold? You said if I can access the wiring harness? Do you mean if I can unplug the injector? Is the only way to test the injector by unplugging it and feeding wires down through to test the ohms..?

The best way to test it is at the injector. You can test it with the injector hooked up as long a you can disconnect the wiring to it in the wiring harness.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me what my fuel pressure range should be at? I feel like 54.8 is a little suspect, perhaps that would help us isolate the problem? Or would a bad injector be a cause of high fuel rail pressure?

It should be 50-55 psi so what you are getting is not too far out of line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, so I'm having trouble getting access to the injectors. I think I am going to remove my manifold so I can get to them, I have done it once before but I'm still a little shaky about doing it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I attached what I know to be the procedure, if you could take a look and tell me if I should change anything or if I forgot anything that would be great. Also, if you could recommend some things I should replace while I'm in there or some special sealants I should use to seal everything up when I'm done. I have been having a little of trouble with my booster and evap. Thanks so much man, hope I get this thing soon!

The attachment will not open. Do you happen to have it as a PDF?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay.. Ive attached it as a pdf. I have all the mechanical tools to do the job but I'm wondering what else I should get at the parts store before I rip apart my car. Also, when I changed my plugs a couple weeks ago, there was oil in there and the upper/lower manifold gaskets were soaked in oil. Do you think I should change my valve cover gaskets or look down there as well?

Thanks. These are pretty straight forward directions. There is nothing too special about this repair. Just make sure that you replace the gaskets too. If there was a lot of oil in there then I would replace the PCV system also or at the very leak clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did replace the gaskets a couple weeks ago, cleaned out the grooves for the lower/upper intake gaskets. I tried to clean down where the spark plugs were but there was oil in plugs 1 and 3. I'm wondering if there is somewhere that is leaking oil. What could be leaking oil into my plugs and manifold gaskets?

Once the manifold is sealed the only place that oil can come from is the PCV system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Just got multimeter and all that stuff. going to pull everything off and then put it back together tomorrow. I will test injectors tonight. But.... if my fuel pressure is good then that means none of my injectors are bad? If my injector was bad then my fuel pressure would be off I'm assuming. I am getting the P1316 code and it says something relating to Injector Driver Module (IDM). What do you think about this? Do I have an IDM and could it be bad?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also bought valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seal set as I had oil pools in at least 2 of my plugs when I changed them a couple weeks ago.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess another question is can my fuel pressure be good and an injector be bad? You said I should be between 50-55 and I'm at 54.8. If my fuel pressure is good then the problem isn't the injector right?

No. Typically the injector fails electrically which will not cause a pressure issue. If there was oil in the spark plug galleys then yes, the valve cover needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Will test the injectors and get back to you. Do I have an IDM in this vehicle though? What about that P1316 code?

I wouldn't worry about that code right now as the injector can cause it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. One more question before I go and rip this thing apart.. What is the range my injectors should be reading in for Ohms? I have a decent multimeter I picked up and I should be able to do it a little bit later

It should be around 4-5 ohms. Compare it to the other injectors as they should not be too different from one another.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay. thank you. sorry. just got to plugs 1 3 5 and I was thinking I should probably just check the plugs and the coils to be sure. Can you tell me what the range should be for the plugs and coils, and is it still in ohms?

There is not an ohm value given for either of these. If it was the coil you would typically a code for that. Since Jaguar does not specify readings for this I would just compare the readings from one coil to the others to see if anything is drastically different from one to the other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got the manifold off and all of the bolts to the fuel rail.. it was getting dark. 8pm here now and pretty dark. was not able to get to the injectors as I have to unbolt the lower manifold gaskets so I can fold up the assembly to get the injectors. Im going to save that for tomorrow... Will test coils tonight and do injectors tomorrow, also change valve cover and spark plug tube seals. Will you be on tomorrow?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok man
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have everything ripped apart... Just checked my injectors.... They are all reading within .5 ohms, i think they're aftermarket so they're in the 14 ohm range. Here they are: 14.6, 14.1, 14.4, 14.3, 14.6 , 14.4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like I said I think I might have a clogged injector because I ran injector cleaner through the other day and the check engine light stopped blinking but ended up coming back on the next day. What is my next step or next way to diagnose?
I have codes p0306, p1314, p1316. I have take apart my vehichle and tested the ohms in my injectors and they are all within .5 ohms of each other. What should I do next?

Electrically they all seem fine. It may be a clogged injector, but now I am curious about that oil in the spark plug holes. Was it a lot? If it was then that will cause an intermittent misfire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea man, it was quite a bit. Im switching the injector to see if the misfire follows the injector. Switching coils too. But yes it was a lot of oil. the plugs had only been in there 2 weeks and they were already brown

Definitely fix that leak. That may take care of the problem all together.

FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician