Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2004 xj8 the abs and traction control light is on…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 xj8...
I have a 2004 xj8 the abs and traction control light is on and the shifter will not come out of park
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/24/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

First we should check the battery to make sure the cable connections are clean and secure. Next we should charge the battery as low voltage can be the cause. Also check the inertia switch to make sure it has not tripped. To reset it just depress the top of it. It is located in the driver side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to press it. If it still will not start disconnect just the negative battery terminal cable for about half hour. Let me know.

all that is good and the car starts wright up
hello

OK then we most likely have a problem on the vehicle network. On early XJ vehicles there were issues with the electrical connector pins. First see if the P is illuminated on the shifter. We then will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. If you send me the last six of your VIN I can see if the repair procedure applies. Also if you have a digital multimeter we can test the circuit.

last six G33085
P is illuminated
information center says has a emergency fault code

OK go to the ABS module located in the passenger front engine compartment. Check the connector to make sure it is clean and secure. Next we need to check fuses and the fault codes with a scan tool. The shifter itself could be the problem.