Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I had to change the battery in my 2000 xj8L, and now the…

Customer Question
Hi..I had to change the...
Hi..I had to change the battery in my 2000 xj8L, and now the engine cranks fine, and was running great before but it will not start.. I read that it is due to security system...how can I fix? My car is stranded..!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/19/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Yes it could be the security. Try disconnecting just the negative battery terminal cable for about ten minutes. Then reconnect it and lock then unlock the driver door using the key in the door lock cylinder. Let me know.

That didnt do it, Richard. Any other suggestions? It is cranking, and the fuel pump was tested and is fine...let me know what you think....still stranded...!
just to add, everything was working perfectly before this battery change....I also had the new battery tested, it is fully charged, and the battery specs ate identical to the oem battery specs....thx...

We should check the fuses for power to make sure none have blown. You can also try spraying some crab cleaner into the air intake tube to see if the engine will start and run on the spray. Also see if the engine will start in neutral.

Ok, I will try that today and get back with you...

Let me know.

I pulled and checked the fuses from the trunk fuse box and the 2 under-hood fuse boxes. One 30A fuse in the trunk was bad, as was one 30A fuse in the front most under-hood box. Replaced them both. Located the inertia fuel cutoff in the passenger front seatside footwell, and depressed in with ignition on. Also did the security turn-off protocol again. Car still will not start, and battery is still 100%. Please advise...

Will it start if you spray some crab cleaner into the air intake tube?

Tried carb ckeaner...didn't work.......called a local mechanic to take a quick look and based on listening to it crank just once, he said it was a bad timing belt....I'm not sure I trust that......thoughts? Suggestions? I need to get this thing started...