Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2003 X-type Jaguar. When I tried to start it I

Customer Question
I have a 2003 X-type...
I have a 2003 X-type Jaguar. When I tried to start it I could hear the selenoid drop in but the starter would not spin. Holding the key in the start position I jiggled the shift lever and it started. I am now having the same problem but nothing happens when I jiggle the shift. Is there an override switch on the shift lever. Automatic transmission.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/12/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** starter click but not spin is a common symptom of a failed starter. To verify this is the problem access wires going to the starter to verify large wire has battery voltage and small wire should have ignition voltage. If both are good replace the starter. This would cost a hour labor to have replaced at a shop if it is not something you want to do. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8m8jfz1aou4j52/stmrr.pdf?dl=0

Is there a switch in the shifting mechanism located in the car that would prevent the starter from spinning. When I had this problem before, the starter engaged when i jiggled the shifter selector. Could this be the problem.

There is a park/neutral switch but if that was the problem you wouldn't even hear starter click. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician