Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I started up my 1998 XJ8 Jaguar 4-door sedan this morning,

Customer Question

I started up my 1998 XJ8 Jaguar 4-door sedan this morning, put it in drive, pressed down on the gas pedal, and the car revved up but didn't move. Why?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did the gearbox fault warning come on? Was the P on the shifter illuminated red?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car is now at a garage, so I can't go out and check. I can't recall seeing any indication of anything wrong on the dashboard or gear shift lever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was driving beautifully back from Baltimore - about 40 miles - but at the end of my trip there was a slight lurch forward and then the car moved forward reluctantly, as though the hand brake was on, when I parked it. That was last night. This morning the car would not move at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the problem occurred last night, there was never any disturbing noise from the engine or elsewhere. Just the normal sound of the engine at all times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go out now for about 90 minutes. Back around 9:30 pm.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok this could very well be mechanical as I have run into problems with the forward clutch drum on thse transmissions causing the engine to rev up then bang into gear when selecting drive or when accelerating from a stop. Sometimes the gearbox fault warning comes on and the fault code stored is P1722. Of course it could also be a problem with the shifter linkage cable which is why I was asking if the P is lite up. We also would need to check the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done as a fill/level check plug needs to be removed with the transmission fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll talk to my garage, where the car is, and get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know.