Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I started up my 1998 XJ8 Jaguar 4-door sedan this morning,

Customer Question
put it in drive, pressed...
I started up my 1998 XJ8 Jaguar 4-door sedan this morning, put it in drive, pressed down on the gas pedal, and the car revved up but didn't move. Why?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
1/19/2016
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Did the gearbox fault warning come on? Was the P on the shifter illuminated red?

My car is now at a garage, so I can't go out and check. I can't recall seeing any indication of anything wrong on the dashboard or gear shift lever.
The car was driving beautifully back from Baltimore - about 40 miles - but at the end of my trip there was a slight lurch forward and then the car moved forward reluctantly, as though the hand brake was on, when I parked it. That was last night. This morning the car would not move at all.
When the problem occurred last night, there was never any disturbing noise from the engine or elsewhere. Just the normal sound of the engine at all times.
I have to go out now for about 90 minutes. Back around 9:30 pm.

Ok this could very well be mechanical as I have run into problems with the forward clutch drum on thse transmissions causing the engine to rev up then bang into gear when selecting drive or when accelerating from a stop. Sometimes the gearbox fault warning comes on and the fault code stored is P1722. Of course it could also be a problem with the shifter linkage cable which is why I was asking if the P is lite up. We also would need to check the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done as a fill/level check plug needs to be removed with the transmission fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. Let me know.

I'm back.

Thanks. I'll talk to my garage, where the car is, and get back to you.

Ok let me know.