Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2000 XK8 who's horn is not working. About the same

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is Judi. I have a 2000 XK8 who's horn is not working. About the same time, a metallic squeak started. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The squeak comes and goes, without a predictable pattern.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me a little more detail in the squeak like when you hear it and from what general area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it's coming from the dashboard/steering wheel area. None of the panels on the dashboard seems loose, and the glove compartment door is fine.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So this is a squeak noise during normal driving from the dash area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
normal driving.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK noises can be very difficult to diagnose in a forumn like this but I have run into the woodgrain around the instrument cluster causing a squeaking sound. The bottom panel needs to be removed then there are two phillips screws on the woodgrain then it is slid down. We normally will insulate it with some foam. Some other spots that cause noises are the support braces under the hood that connect to the firewall as sometimes the bolts loosen up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. I'll check it out
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know.