Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I spoke to you before about issues with my 98 VDP, I am

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****, I spoke...
Customer: ***** *****, I spoke to you before about issues with my 98 VDP, I am trying to sell the car and it hasn't been driven much. I went to fill it up with gas and couldn't get the gas cap off. When I gave up went home and got a bigger hammer, it had chalky white powder built up in the throat to the gas cap, I vacuumed it out and filled up and car it ran for a week and then didn't start, I'm working on it and I removed the gas cap and more chalky white powder built up again, what is this and will this cause it not to run? I removed fuel filter and am about to replace it and try to start but haven't done it yet, I turned the key and gas did pump out to where I removed the filter?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just did?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm under the car now and running out of daylight
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
12/16/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Is the engine cranking normally but not starting or is it cranking too slow? How long has the vehicle been sitting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems to be cranking normal, it has been sitting for 3-weeks since I decided to start working on it. It has a new battery, but since its been sitting it did seem a little undercharged, so I am charging it tonight and will try to start tomorrow so not sure if it is low battery or slow cranking for sure yet. My main question is what is that white chalky stuff, and where is it coming from, and could it cause damage?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, yeah, it is not starting. I replaced fuel filter, and turned key on while it was removed and fuel pump was pumping fuel out the open line pretty good. Also to be sure I put the filter in correctly is the inlet connected to the line coming from middle of car?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, are you still with me on this problem? I got out there today with a fully charged battery, and yes it is cranking normally. I used starting fluid to try to get it started and it ran only till it burned up the starting fluid. So I know it is firing, but not getting gas??? I'm not totally sure if I put the new fuel filter in the correct direction, would this be a problem? I hooked the inlet to the line with a flexible hose coming down from the middle of the car and the outlet to the line that goes to the driver side rear wheel, is this correct? I'm still wondering if that weird white chalky corrosion type stuff could cause this problem, I have a full tank of Premium Gas in it now.

Definitely could be old/bad gas. Since it runs on starting fluid we know it is fuel related. The pump may be the cause. The inlet goes to the line going towards the rear of the vehicle. To be sure we will need to use a fuel pressure gauge. We can remove the line from the rail and place it in a glass bottle. Have an assistant crank the engine and make sure we are getting fuel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My fuel filter is not on the rail but perpendicular to the side of the car on cross rail. A fuel line with rubber hose comes from the middle of the car and the other line goes to the rail by the rear tire but goes to the back of the car. I did turn the key as I stated in earlier posts and looked under the car and the fuel was pumping good, I just didn't have an assistant so I wasn't sure which line it was pumping from while the fuel filter was removed, my bad. My fuel line goes side to side not front to rear out of the filter, if that makes sense which one is the inlet or outlet the one going to driver side or the one going to passenger side. So I know we are getting fuel to the fuel filter. Since the first time I noticed the chalky substance was when I needed gas, so it was pretty low, I filled up with Premium, thinking it would dilute any problem that may have been with the substance, but it sat un-driven for a couple weeks and the weird substance showed up again in a lesser amount but still needed to be vacuumed out the throat. Where is the next place to check for gas flow or what should I do next?? Is it a very big deal if the fuel filter is in wrong?

Yes the filter is on the frame rail next to the exhaust muffler. The line in the back is the inlet coming from the pump nd the line in the front goes to the injector rail.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, How do I remove the fuel line from the rail? Any special tools? Di I just remove the cove that says JAGUAR on it to get to it?

Yes you will need a fuel line quick disconnect tool. The feed line is under the engine cover on the driver side. It is the one next to the throttle under the coolant tank. You can also use a fuel pressure gauge and Ford style adapter to hook tot he rail and read pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, Thanks, ***** ***** it tomorrow and get back with you fro the next step to get it running.

Ok good. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I hooked up the Fuel Pressure gauge. Turned the key to on and it move up to about 15 but bled off fairly quickly while the key was still on. I turned the key t crank and the gauge went to about 30 while cranking but also bled off while cranking. Tried a few times without cranking and it would go to about 15 each time but would not hold pressure, just bleed off quicky?? What next
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What Next??? I guess you never got the message below. Never got a response. How should the pressure read while the car isn't running? Should I read the pressure while keeping it running with Starting Fluid?18 December 2015 06:03OK, I hooked up the Fuel Pressure gauge. Turned the key to on and it move up to about 15 but bled off fairly quickly while the key was still on. I turned the key t crank and the gauge went to about 30 while cranking but also bled off while cranking. Tried a few times without cranking and it would go to about 15 each time but would not hold pressure, just bleed off quicky?? What next

Sounds like the pump may be bad. We need to confirm that we have good voltage to the thick brown/blue wire on the top of the fuel tank connector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need to drop the tank to get to it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I hooked one lead of my meter to the thick brown/blue wire and I got good voltage when I touched the other meter lead to the Positive Battery Terminal. Is this what you wanted me to do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not disconnect the connector from fuel tank, just tapped into the wire just before it gets to the connector. Would it work that way?

That should be fine. Place the black lead to the battery negative cable and the red lead to the thick brown/blue. We should read battery voltage when cranking. If so then the pump is getting power. I have also seen issues with the internal harness going to the pump causing this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll have to do the method you described tomorrow and get back to you with results
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, did the test the way you asked and yes, I am getting good voltage on that wire while cranking.

Ok then the problem is in the tank unless we have a restriction in the feed line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does that mean it is the fuel pump most likely bad?

Yes most likely

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I rate you, I was wondering if you had any experience or had ever seen the problem I stated in my first question in this conversation copied below about the white chalky substance build up at gas cap?. Do you know if this chalky substance caused the fuel pump failure or do you think coincidental? Do you think it could also create a problem further to possibly the injectors? Is there a way I can test the injectors before I spend the money on doing the fuel pump and then maybe finding an injector problem? I'm thinking maybe hook up a good gas source and external pump and see if it will run?I went to fill it up with gas and couldn't get the gas cap off. When I gave up went home and got a bigger hammer, it had chalky white powder built up in the throat to the gas cap, I vacuumed it out and filled up and car it ran for a week and then didn't start, I'm working on it and I removed the gas cap and more chalky white powder built up again, what is this and will this cause it not to run?
Richard, Jaguar Technician