I am also. I have two XJ12, one 95 one 96. each has an issue. 95 ignition key turns but no crank. I can fire car by

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Customer: Hi Richard, I am also Richard.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have two XJ12, one 95 one 96. each has an issue. 95 ignition key turns but no crank. I can fire car by putting earth to requisite relay position under hood, left hand bank of relays. cars condition is almost as though I had RF key which of course I don't. but as with a car with rf key, I have no indicators etc. Today I pulled the centre console, cannot find any broken wires. the little switch next to the gearshift with 2 wires seems to have no power on either side, but not sure if this is a ground circuit. Put ground to one of relays, not sure which but then heard keylock under dash operate as did that relay. This car, recent purchase, was manually shifted out of park, using correct steps as no battery to be flatbedded. Flatbed driver did move gearshift from neutral back to park with no problem. Gearshift will move through full range without the key in the ignition. Wondering if I have problem with bpm? or elsewhere. I know you answered in the past a similar problem on a same age xj6 but I believe my bpm is different from the xj6 one and hence terminal positions for testing may be different.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am Richard
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Answered by Eric in 1 day 7 years ago
imglogo
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Automotive Mechanic, Small Engine Repairs, Auto Body Repairs, Diesel Engine Repairs

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I need the vin number to see if I can pull up the connector pinouts you need

Customer
Eric thanks for responding. My VIN is SAJMX68340TC776924.

Can you recheck the VIN number. It should only be 17 digits and you have 18

Customer
Sorry Eric, it should be SAJMX6340TC776924.

HI,

Ok, they dont have a simple connector pinout for the body processor module. Just wiring diagrams. There are around 30 of them. Do you want me to upload all those for you. I dont mind doing it, but will take a few hours to do so

Customer
Hi Eric, would it be easier to send me a link to them?

HI,

We try that first. Post a link and then I can go thru the wiring diagrams and compare pins and wire colors between them. Will still take a bit as I have to go thru the 30 diagrams to match them up.

Customer
I'm fairly sure the bpm is my problem. Today I connected a new ground wire to the start ground wire coming from the ignition and ran that to the ground side of the crank relays ground control wire and the car fires up with the key. I similarly ran a new ground control wire from the light switch to the dip headlamp relay so I have headlamps. I am considering removing the steering wheel and airbag to access the windscreen wiper and turn signal switches. Wipers will be easy, turn signal not quite so much. This model has a light control module in the trunk, and operates my hazard flashers when I press the button for them, it also controls the turn signal lights, brake lights, side lights. I have all my brake/ stop lights working. Had to cut the wire for the sidelights as they would not switch off.
If I am correct it will be safe to remove the steering column and airbag once I have had the battery disconnected for a while.
Just a case of trying to re engineer Jaguars over engineering.Man I own seven Jags from 85 thru 96 and these xj12's are the first that have had me beat. Well almost beat. I never give up.

HI,

I does sound like the bpm . post the link you have and let me go thru and verify if it is the same for the xj12 or not. If not, then I will upload all the bpm wiring diagrams

Customer
Hi Eric, sorry cross purposes. I don't have a link, I was asking would it be easier for you to send me the link to the diagrams rather than you going through them all.

HI,

oops, sorry, misunderstood.

I cant send a link as it is propietary, but I will upload them for you. Give me a couple of hours on this

Customer
Thanks Eric. Will take me a while to go through all the diagrams but I think they will help me figure out how anybody other than Jaguar would have engineered this wiring chaos. It is much appreciated.

HI,

you are welcome.

Customer
I am going to pose another question about my 95 xj12 if you are interested.

HI,

I will take a look at it as soon as you post it to see if it is something I deal with and can give proper help on

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
20+ years of experience
logo

Licensed mechanics

Pearl avatar
Steve Pearl, Mechanic's Assistant
14 Mechanics are online right now.