Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I own a 2005 Type S Jaguar. The parking break light comes on

Customer Question

Hi
I own a 2005 Type S Jaguar. The parking break light comes on occasionally. A few times it has locked and I lose the power steering for a few minutes. I took it to Jaguar in white plains, NY, I took it to a foreign car service and they were unable to correct the problem. There was a recall on this problem and I don't know if the people who owned it prior to me had it taken care of. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Does it say park brake fault or cannot apply parking brake? Does this come on while driving or right after starting? When you say locked does the parking brake engage or does t just go into limp mode where you cannot accelerate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says park brake fault. It comes on right after starting. The car's parking brake engages. I put my foot on the pedal and it is like forcing it and the car races.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok we may have a problem with the parking brake module. In some cases the software my need to be updated. To be sure we will definitely need to know what the stored fault codes are. A Jag factory tool or equivalent will need to be used to read these codes. If no fault codes are stored then it is possible it is a bad module. Let me know.