Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Well A client brought me a 04 X-Type plugs (Tune up) when

Customer Question

Well Richard
A client brought me a 04 X-Type for spark plugs (Tune up) when she got here she said it had some drive-ability problems and the check engine light was on. We changed the plugs and manifold gaskets had showed signs of a little leak by on one of the gaskets.
We checked the codes and they where as follows P0171, P0174,P0300,P0302,P0304,P0306,P0314,P0153, P01603,P1111,P1000, P1314,P1316,
The drive-ability as road tested by us was lack of power when a cretin amount of pressure was applied to the throttle at about 40 MPH less pressure and the problem stopped more pressure and the problem stopped. And that is an intermittent problem.
We addressed a leaking PCV hose, New Plugs, New Filters, and a intake component cleaning.
We cleared the codes and test drove the car all was well for the first 9 miles and until we said “this car is nice” than the check engine light came back on with the following codes.P0174, P0300, P302, P0304, P1314, P1316, P1000
We decided
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the IMT valve seals? They are the electronic valves on the side of the intake. Did you also replace the lower intake seals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we did not. I could be wrong but a vacuum leak would not cause a intermittent problem and would also be present at idle.
Is there a way of checking them without blindly doing the old poke and hope method?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Usually engine temp is a factor since a warm engine usually seals up the leak. If the scan tool used to read the codes can read pids or live data monitor the long and short term fuel trims to see if they are high at higher than +7%. Then spray some carb cleaner around the intake to see if the readings change. Another possibility are injectors since we have misfire and lean faults on bank 2 which is the front bank. Let me know.