Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Sudden Jaguar xtype 2002 automatic transmission failure

codes after 80km: P0732 P0733 P0734 P0735 Engine works fine...
Sudden Jaguar xtype 2002 automatic transmission failure codes after 80km:
P0732
P0733
P0734
P0735
Engine works fine but Gears just stopped working
10/27/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 6 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

All those faults are gear ratio codes meaning the module has detected slippage or engagement faults. This is usually mechanical so the unit may need to be repaired. Of course we will need to first have the fluid level and condition checked. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done as a level check plug needs to be removed with the fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. Let me know.

The car was looked at by a very good jaguar dealership mechanic. He said we checked everything he could and said that the next step is to remove the transmission and send it to a Transmission specialist for possible rebuild.I have heard from another source that a possible problem could be that the Transmission may be clogged. We bought the car 2 years ago (with 18km) from a person who did not use the car very much. Since then we have used the car a lot (now 80km). Could it be that the transmission just needs to be unclogged using applied fluid pressure? I think this can be done without having to remove the transmission.

There is a filter screen but it is not serviceable without opening the unit. The fluid can be changes and the TCM reset with the factory tool first but unfortunately I would agree with the mechanic that it is most likely mechanical.

1) Do you think it could be a clogged Transmission?
2) If so, can the clog in the transmission be fixed by just applying high pressure fluid to the transmission without having to remove it? This would be a lot cheaper then removing the transmission to fix the clog.
3) By the way the mechanic did reset the computer to remove the error code and tried to drive the car. But after a few blocks the problem came back.
4) The jaguar dealership sad that they would charge 1k Eur to remove and reinstall the transmission. They would then send it to a transmission repair company that will charge 100 Eur to diagnose the problem. The mechanic estimated the reepait could cost between 1000 - 3000 Eur
5) This 2002 Xytpe has never had a problem until now. We paid 7k Eur for the car 2 years ago (with 18km). Now it has 80km. Should we have the car repaired or should we look for another used car. The most important thing for us is to have a reliable car to get us to work everyday.6) I forgot to mention another option is to sell the car with the transmission problem. We have a buyer that is willing to pay 3k Eur for the car as is.

I do jot think it is a clog or restriction and they really do not recommend applying any pressurized fluid.

The repair estimate seems to be in line as accurate. As far as another vehicle that may be a wise choice but if you do not have any other issues with the vehicle it may be worth the repair.

One last thing to mention. The gearbox fault warning does come on when it fails as well as the engine light. I have seen in your discussions with other xtype 2002 owners with a similar problem, that this could indicate an electrical problem.Do you think this could be an electrical problem? or do you really think this is a mechanical problem?
One last thing to mention. The gearbox fault warning does come on when it fails as well as the engine light. I have seen in your discussions with other x type 2002 owners with a similar problem, that this could indicate an electrical problem.Do you think this could be an electrical problem? or do you really think this is a mechanical problem?

It could be electrical like the TCM but gear ratio faults are usually mechanical.

Richard, Jaguar Technician