Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2004 Jaguar s type. Today the reduced performance

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2004 Jaguar s type. Today the reduced performance light came on and the car died. I cannot get it to start again. The fuel pump fuse was blown and after replacing, the car still won't turn over but will crank. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Usually when the fuse blows it is due to a bad fuel.pump located inside the tank. We can try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake tube while an assistant cranks the engine to see if the engine will start and run on the spray indicating a fuel delivery problem. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it started briefly with the starting fluid sprayed and then died again. So, it sounds like the fuel pump? Do you recommend a fuel pump from a jag dealer, or do you suppose an after market pump from an auto parts store would be sufficient? My husband thinks he can do it himself.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

They do have aftermarket ones available but I would recommend the Jag parts

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have one more question if I may. I know there are two fuel pumps, how do we determine which is the appropriate side to replace? Left or right? We're really grateful for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

The actual fuel pump is on the passenger side. The driver side is just a sending unit.