Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have an Ignition problem (DTC codes

Customer Question
Customer: I have an...
Customer: I have an Ignition problem (DTC codes P0351/P0354/P0356/P0357 and Code P1367) on XK8 '97.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have replaced 8 spark plugs cleaned, plug wells. and replaced 2 coils. but still same problem
I have replaced all relays associated with ignition as well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
10/15/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Looks like we may have a problem with one of the ignition modules. These modules are under the wiper cowl. We can swap them and clear the fault code a to see if they travel to the other bank. Another possibility is another coil causing the group to fail. Let me know.

Ok I will attempt the swap of the ignition modules and I will also order another set of 2 coils. I do not have those at the moment.

Yes lets swap the modules first.

I swapped the cables on the Ignition modules - DTC codes remain the same. I will next attempt to do the swap of the two new coils on the right two cylinders (A and G or 1 and 7) to eliminate a possible bad coil pulling the the group down.
This will take some time as the airfilter has to come off to get the the coil/sparkplug cover.
Be back with the prognosis later...
Ok I have swapped out the two coils and I am still getting the exact same error codes... I am at a loss right now the leads and wires all seem good. Any further suggestions?
Richard, Do you have any further suggestions for me to try.
Ok so that was it??? No further response.

It could be a coil shutting down the complete bank since they are grouped to different modules. The cylinder order is 1-4 starting from the front on the passenger side and 5-8 starting from the front on the driver side. Label each coil and we will swap them. Swap 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6 and 7 to 8. Clear the codes and see if the codes travel to the other cylinders.
On a side note I have also seen the secondary timing chain tensioners fail causing the chains to jump. This can cause these ignition codes as well but this would only be the problem if the vehicle runs rough all the time.

Matt, Engineer