Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

My rear left tail lamp cluster failed. I replaced it, and

Customer Question
Hi my rear left tail...
Hi my rear left tail lamp cluster failed. I replaced it, and the replacement failed. Fuse looks fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
10/13/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect for any shorted or damaged wiring or electrical connections to the tail lamp assembly.This will usually cause premature and repeat failure of the lamp assembly like this here.If any wiring or connection issues are found the affected fault located will need repaired to correct this issue.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

I checked the wiring it seems fine. Theres no damage. The fuse is o.k. The bulbs are o.k. Im almost 99% sure the wiring harness is fine.
Also, the break lights light up. Only the left tail lamp is failing as in the first cluster.

When it failed (the cluster assembly) did you see any burnt or damaged electrical contacts in it?

No.

O.k.,looking at the info on this model here the rear electronic control module (RECM) powers and controls the left rear and right rear light cluster assemblies.If you have no damaged wiring or wiring connections leading from the light to the RECM I suspect the RECM is surging voltage signals intermittently to the left tail light cluster causing the premature failure of it.I have seen the RECM fail before in the past needing replaced to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

O.k I have a quick question about the recm. My gas tank meter is fine. My lights are fine except the rear left. Sounds like it could be true. If I go to the pick n pull, and pull a recm. I know where theyre located. I know they have to be programmed to fit my car. I would have to take it to the dealer to have it programmed correct?? My recm was acting up before. I disconnected the battery, and the symptoms vanished. Although, now the lights are failing. Any way I can be sure??

The only way to be sure is to have a multi meter tapped in line with one signal at a time from the RECM so when it acts up you can catch the surge,this can be very difficult to do as we don't know which circuit for sure is at fault.

When you disconnected and reconnected the battery this reset the electronics in it and is most likely why it operated o.k. for a short time after this was done.

In some cases if you can pull it from the same year and model with all of the same options it may not need programmed at all but if it does unfortunately it has to be done by a dealer or authorized repair center that has access to programming.

The problem was the rear tail light lamp. It was the same bulb and everything. The rear break lights work. How can I be sure its recm??

I would assume the ground signal is o.k. as this is the same ground signal that feeds the left stop lamp and if you have had no issues with the stop lamp on the left side the ground is o.k.

The power feed signal comes in on the black wire with white stripe to feed the left hand tail light.This should have 12 volts dc with the light switch on.If it surges above 15 volts at any time this can damage the tail light and cause this here and would be the RECM at fault.

Thanks Pete

O.k. Just to make sure. If I find an 00 jag that is a replica of mine. I may interchange the recm?? I see a couple here on this website I may use to extract the part.

In theory yes you should be able to but my info isn't showing me if this will just plug and play for sure so there is a chance that it may need programmed as well.If it doesn't work when you install it then you would know that it needs programmed.

Thanks Pete

Ok I spoke with the dealer and they told me how to interchange the part correctly. Changed the cluster, and the rem still have a left tail lamp problem. I extracted the cluster from an 01, however. I suspect maybe it could be a mismatched cluster. Going to the yard again to find an 00 with a spare cluster. Ill test the cluster further tonight to see if the break lamp or turn signal lights up. I wont be driving tonight so Im cool for now.
Ok so the blinker works. Its tail lamp failing again on the third cluster. Changed the rem. What could it be?

The only other thing I can think of that can cause this is a wiring fault from the rem to the cluster assembly or a connection fault at the rem or cluster assembly.

Thats what I was thinking. Pull a wiring harness, and replace it? Im not sure why it would work for day or two then stop working. How do I test this theory to be sure. Volt meter? If so please tell me how to test these wires as to be sure. I can get a new wiring harness off ebay, and switch it easily. I just want to be sure, before spending any more money. Thanks.

Below is a link to a diagram on this here.Unfortunately I am unable to blow it up any further myself but you want to test resistance of each wire from the control unit to the light assembly and from each wire to ground with the control unit and light assembly disconnected as well as from each wire to positive to make sure no wires are shorted to ground or voltage in any way.

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician