Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2000 xk8 goes into limp mode and shows trac not

Customer Question

i have a 2000 xk8 goes into limp mode and shows trac not available and asc not available
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if you can't get any codes off it with a generic reader then its likely that you're going to need a Jaguar dealer level tool to get the specific fault code and this also means its likely to be a non engine related issue as the generic readers usually work OK with engine codes

as you've got the ASC fault on its likely to be an ABS issue and with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is splitbetween the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please ratemy answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did clean all the connections and drove the car again and did go into limp mode so on Monday I will check the wheel speed
Sensors with voltmeterIs it possible that the wheel speed sensor
Will give readings good sometimes
And bad sometimes I am worried that if there is a bad one and when I check it
Will be reading good
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

as with any electrical part you can get intermittant failures before it fails completly

so yes its possible that when testing they may all be fine

measuring the resistance of each sensor may also provide some clues as they should all be the same within a 30ohm range

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I went out of town I did not have enough time to do the next step I will when I get back on Tuesday
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post