Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Wife took my 2004 xj8 on road trip and the left rear air

Customer Question

wife took my 2004 xj8 on road trip and the left rear air shock sprung a leak about 3 1/2 hours from home. Dealer says the strut needs to be replaced but that the car is drivable. She is leaving the car with the dealer for me to pick up. My question is weather or not I will damage the compressor if I drive the car home. second question is can i pinch off or otherwise shut off air to the strut and then drive home. I want to replace the strut myself to save $$$$
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Depending on the severity of the leak we can damage the compressor by driving it. As far as pinching off the lined that will be difficult since it is a small plastic line from the valve block to the reservoir. If you remove the line all the air will leak out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it is a small plastic line in the trunk that goes to the top of the strut. Do you think I could pinch it off with a pair of vise grips to get the car home?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That is an option but since the line is small there is a chance we damage it. Jag used to sell line repair kits so if a section of.line is damage we can put the repair fitting in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather repair or replace the air line rather than have to replace a compressor. Other than the possibility of damaging the air line would you, as an expert, think this is my best option to drive the car home 3+ hours?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes with our limitations this would be the better option since worst case we would have to replace the line but it is small going from the valve under the spare tire to the shock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm... My concern is if the compressor would run anyway trying to balance the system after pinching off the line. Also, with that in mind, should the sensor be disconnected from the strut upon pinching off the the airline. I know it may be a complicated question but that's why I came to you. Just don'r want to go from bad to worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see the reply to my last msg. Please resend
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes the compressor will try to level out the vehicle but will turn itself off once it detects that there is

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Pressure. We do not need to disconnect the sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little concerned that after pinching the line, the sensor on the strut may call for air. What do I do if the compressor continues to run? I have 230 miles to drive to get the car home.Are you sure that the compressor will not run continuously after I have pinched the line. Also...... instead of pinching the line could I remove it from the strut and cap it leaving the fitting on the strut open?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The sensor on the shocks are there to control the dampening and not the air. It uses a height sensor and pressure sensor. I would actually remove the air suspension relay and drive it. If and when the vehicle starts to drop reinstall it. it is R1 in the engine compartment fuse box.