Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Jon, Just seeing what other rpeople have experienced with

Customer Question
Hi Jon, Just seeing what other...
Hi Jon,
Just seeing what other rpeople have experienced with parasitic load issues on a 2000 Jaguar S-Type automobile. Neighbor has one which depleats battery within a few days. I just got into this one today and narrowed the drain to one J-case fuse in the rear compartment drawing about 500 mA. Fuse feeds the "primary junction block". Need to determine what's on that circuit. Any experience with that bad boy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/25/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The fuses in the panel should be numbered, if you can give me the number of the fuse you are referring to I will try and find the circuit it involves. I have enclosed the fuse diagrams in the link below, post back with the number for the one you are referring to and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%20Panel%20Sept%2025.pdf

Hey Ron,
The fuse I am refering to is in the rear compartment power distribution box. It is # ***** a 40 amp J-case fuse. I see that it feeds the primary function box at the right front A pillar. It looks like it branches out to nine other fuses within that A pillar BEC. Guess I can track it down from there since I now posess a schematic of this circuit. What I was seeking from you, Ron, is some insight on common Jaguar gremlin's pretaining to this particular parasitic load issue. I work for GM and am quite familiar with platform specific bugs, so I figured somebody (you Ron) has dealt with this one somewhere along the road. Appreciate your concern and look forward to your reply.

There are a couple of pretty common draws, one is the Instrument cluster and the other is the BCM. Unfortunately the only real way to determine what it is causing it is going to be trace each circuit one at a time. Its never an easy job unfortunately.

The fuse #26 dose feed the GEM so I think that where I would start.

Ah, so they do have issues with modules not powering down. Then you suggest starting at either fuse 19 or 20 at the A pilllar BEC then?
It was fuse 25, not 26 of the rear BEC.

Are you sure about that, IM not seeing that fuse in the rear panel , see the wiring diagram in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%20Sept%2025.pdf

Got the link, but it looks nothing like the mech drawing I have.
You mentioned "REM", does that acronym stand for rear electrical module?

The link is for the 2000 S Type, that what you working on right?

it is a 2000 S-Type Jaguar with a 4.0 litre powerplant.

Then the diagram I sent you is correct. Recheck your fuse number.

Definitly #25. Red 40Amp square fuse in the right side rear power distibution box.
Sorry I said REM, you typed GEM, where is that component?

Okay I see it now, see this diagram. It looks like #25 feeds the primary box.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%20%2325%20Sept%2025.pdf

Exactly. Now you see that it also branches to "T"

The GEM is located in the driver side kick panel , see the removal steps and location in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/GEM%20sept%2025.pdf

Going out to the garage and have at it. Will get back in a few to let you know what I find.

Good luck on the hunt.

Oo-Rah!

Im here if need be.

Found the circuit but not the cause yet. Removed fuse from # ***** in the right side A-pllar juncton block and the amp load dropped to 30mA. Car has the "premium" entertainment system so I'll be removing the Nav display, amplifier and the radio. Maybe the radio first? Do these cars have a history of the radio staying "awake" or should I be looking for high resistance in a serial data line?
Hanging it up for today, Ronnie. Will let you know what I find in a few days now. Plate is full of other work which demands attention before fall arrives. Eeek!

There is no recorded history of them staying awake but that does not mean yours is not. Disconnecting it would verify if that is the case. Im her everyday except Sundas so post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Ronnie
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician