Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

How much do you charge to troubleshoot problems

Customer Question

how much do you charge to troubleshoot problems
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

So right now the only fault is cannot apply parking brake? After you reconnect the battery did the parking brake reset?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fault is 'cannot apply parking brake.' no . The parking brake did not reset, and does not work.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Ok we may have a problem with the switch or module causing this. If we were just to disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for about half hour then reconnect it and start the engine s warning should say Apply parking brake. You then need to pump the brakes a few times then hold the brake and pull up on the switch. If it still does not reset then we will need to have the faults read from the module.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried this procedure 1000 miles ago. when I disconnected the battery, a dozen other faults and codes came up. it has taken 3 months and 1000 miles of driving for it to relearn and get back to the original code that I was trying to get out, which was and is 'cannot apply parking brake.' also during that same three months when all the faults were present, the vehicle would not crank when I pushed the start button without a 10 minute wait. it was very frustrating and I'm now afraid to disconnect the battery again. I was hoping for a different testing method without disconnecting the battery.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately we can either disconnect the battery or the parking brake module which is behind the passenger side trim in the trunk. If you do disconnect it do it with the vehicle Off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ill try the module disconnect
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Looks.like you may have replied but it did not come through.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Richard! I tried both methods. I unplugged module for 40 minutes with the key off. Then turned the key on and pumped the brake pedal 10 times and pulled the E brake switch. The E brake still doesn't hold. I can hear and feel a light clicking sound at the e brake switch every time when I push the brake pedal. So far nothing has changed ... it doesn't work and it still reads cannot apply parking brake. What next?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok we will need to have the faults read with a compatible scan tool that can communicate with the electronic parking brake module. The motor or module may be faulty and need to be replaced. It could even be a switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Richard! I hope things are good with you. I'm still here. I am seeking expert help online from you in hopes that I may get this jaguar issue figured out without taking it to a dealer and paying diagnostic or troubleshooting fees. Unfortunately, it sounds as though I am going to have to take it in anyway to have the EPB module read as you have stated.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately we may not have a choice because even if we replace the module it is a guess and Jag will have to program it anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess so far we have eliminated one of the three most likely things that could cause the ' cannot apply park brake" light which is the resetting of the EPB module. I know that there is also a possibility that the EPB enabling switch that is located on the console could also be bad. I would like to test the EPB switch before taking it to a dealer. Is there a testing procedure for the switch? I know there must be a hot wire to the switch when the key is on, and also a hot out of the switch when the switch is enabled, if it is working properly.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I hope all is well. This question is still open on my end as it has not been rated yet. Please accept/give a positive rating so I can receive credit. If you need anything else on this topic please reply back.