Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

My 1997 jaguar xk8, 155,000 miles, gets the gearbox fault…

Hi, My 1997 jaguar xk8...
Hi, My 1997 jaguar xk8, 155,000 miles, gets the gearbox fault message and the transmission drives only in 4th. Before I would shut off the motor, restart, and the message went away with shifting through the gears fine. Then later, "gearbox fault" comes back and only 4th. Now the "gearbox fault" seems permanent. I put in another transmission control module, however, no change. Any thoughts as to what and where to get the part needed would be appreciated. Thankyou.
9/5/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The transmission is going into limp in. Either the TCM isn't awake or it's seeing an issue that could cause damage, is setting a fault code and locking you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many possible causes for limp in including wiring, solenoids, speed sensors, or internal transmission issues.

The first thing that needs to be done is see if the TCM will communicate with a scan tool, and if so then see what fault codes are setting. Has this been done?

Thank you for answering. Now, I do get a code of "P0706 Mod$11, Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit, Range/Performance confirmed". Also when the fault is not showing, reverse ok but when placed in drive the "gearbox fault" appears. Changing the TCM made no difference. When this first began, (it had been intermittent), shutting off the engine and restarting cleared the
problem for a short time. Nothing consistent. That is about all I got. Any gut feelings? Thank You.

The problem is either the range sensor, shift linkage adjustment, or range sensor wiring. It would take some electrical testing to know for sure, but if the shift linkage is properly adjusted and there are no visible wiring or connection issues then odds are the range sensor is what is causing the problem.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Sounds reasonable. If I may ask, where is the sensor and do I need a tech manual. Thanks again.