Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Wiper not parking properly. I have a 2005 x type 3.0. I took

Customer Question
Wiper not parking properly. I...
Wiper not parking properly. I have a 2005 x type 3.0 . I took the car to the dealer to have the high beam switch changed. They put a new switch in then said that didn't fix the problem. Then told me they fixed it and that it was a loose plug that was loosened when they were diagnosing the switch problem. But now my wiper will not park properly. When the wiper are in the intermitant mode and I turn off the wiper it will go to the park position then come up a few inches and stop. Also when the wipers are in the constant on mode and I turn off the wipers the stop where ever they were when I turned off the wipers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/2/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 2 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Do the wipers ever stop in the middle when on any mode?

When the wipers are on constant mode and I turn them off the wipers, they will stop where ever they were when the switch is turned off. The wipers will stop in the middle of their cycle. But if the wipers are turned off while in intermitant mode they go to park and then come up a few inches
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Ok this problem is usually caused by a bad park switch in the motor. I am curious as to where that poor connection was since we may have another wiring fault with the wipers. If you have a digital multimeter we can test the circuit. Also please check fuse #9 (30 amp) in the engine compartment fuse box. Let me know.

Pls disregard previous phone request...
I did check the #9 (30 amp) fuse. The fuse is good. If the park feature in the motor was bad would the wipers still act the same when being turned off from constant mode and from being turned off from the intermittant mode? Could it be the General Electronic Module (GEM)? Can the GEM be set/adjusted by the dealer?
Also I just noticed the R6 (windshield heater relay is missing after the dealer worked on it.
ps Yes I do have a multimeter.

Yes the park switch will effect both intermittent and low/high speed. It could be the GEM although not very common. Unfortunately there is no adjustment to the GEM that can be done. Lets go to the GEM and on the blue connector pin 2 white / black wire is the park switch. With it still connected place the red lead of your meter to that wire and the black lead to ground. Turn the wipers on and the voltage should swing from 0-12 as the wipers sweep. Let me know.

If the park switch in the motor is bad and its effects high low and intermitant why do the wipers just stop at any position when turned off from the high or low but when turned off from the intermitant they park and then come up a few inches and stop?
I will have to test the GEM as you instructed above tomorrow as its 0149am here now.

The gem controls them differently when on intermittent. Let me know the results of the test.

I dont know if this matters but I looked at a jaguar diagram, there was one for a rain sensing model and another for a non rain sensing model. I have a rain sensing model. Also where exactly is the GEM?

Yes the diagram is different but the park wiring is the same.

Richard, I have checked the GEM blue connector 2nd pin (black & white) cable. It does have voltage when the wiper is moving in intermitant, low and high mode. The voltage does swing from 0-12volts.

Ok I still do not want to totally rule.out the park switch but it does sound like it is working. Unfortunately we will need a Jag factory tool to read if the gem is seeing the signal as the gem may be the problem.

Is the park switch you refer to in the wiper motor?
Is there something else that could cause this that I could test for?
If I need a dealer to test the GEM what do I need to ask them to test for specifically?
As I look at the diagram I see a fuse in the wiper motor (but it is not labelled) it is after the high and low. Where is this fuse? Is it the #9 30amp you had me check?

Yes the park switch is inside the wiper motor. The dealer will need to see if in fact the GEM is seeing the park switch input and energizing the relay. Yes that is the fuse. I will double check the wiring diagram when I get back into the shop.

I am a bit confused on the F8 fuse and the F9 fuse. Both are 30amp and both of mine are ok. The diagram I have says the F8 is for the windshield wiper motor relay. Did you say the F9 is to the wiper motor?
Is there something I can test/check or do I need to have the dealer check the GEM?
Please respond to above. You also said you would double check the diagram... Still waiting to hear from you.

Fuse 8 powers the wiper relay and fuse 9 powers the park switch in the motor. When the relay goes bad we usually will lose auto wipers and the flick wipe so the relay should be good. We either have a switch problem or GEM problem but I still do not want to rule out wiring. Unfortunately without a Jag factory tool it will be hard to test the GEM.

I keep getting requests to date your "service" I have not gotten any ideas on how to resolve my issue. You just say " it would be hard to test the GEM" how is this statement helpful to me resolving my issue?
Richard, Jaguar Technician