Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Request ...I have a 1996 XJR. The drives door key will lock

Customer Question
request Eric...I have a 1996...
request Eric...I have a 1996 XJR. The drives door key will lock the car and close the windowa but it will not unlock the car.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/29/2015
Jaguar Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Does the interior lock button work for unlocking the doors?
HI,
I believe that this may be an issue in the central locking control module, but I dont have a wiring diagram for this one to verify.
I am going to open this up to other experts to see if anyone else might have the diagram to verify the issue.
Thank you
Jaguar Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the power lock button in the car will unlock the doors and it does respond to the fob when locking the door then you almost surely have a failed transmitter. You know that the car is receiving the signal if it does lock. What will need to be done is test the fob's output when pressing the lock button. A dealer or most shops will have a fob tester, but you can have fobs tested for free at most big chain parts stores such as Autozone. If it isn't transmitting when pressing the unlock button and the battery is good then it can be condemned.

It is not the fob. It is the ignition key. When inserted into the drivers side door it will lock the doors and roll up the windowa but it will not unlock the door s and roll down the windows.

The driver's door does mechanically unlock but the others do not?

01 September 2015 07:07
It is not the fob. It is the ignition key. When inserted into the drivers side door it will lock the doors and roll up the windowa but it will not unlock the doors and roll down the windows. The key...will not unlock any of the doors.
the fob will unlock the doors.

When you insert the key in the driver's door it won't turn to the unlock position at all then?

That is correct.

If you're physically unable to turn the key to the unlock position then the failure has to be in the door latch.

the door latch is?
What should I do?

The latch is the assembly in the door that cinches around the striker and holds it closed. The door panel needs to be removed and the latch replaced, assuming there are no issues found with the linkage.

Is it something you're intending to repair yourself?

I am intending on repairing it.

Do you have the VIN?

VIN VSAJPX114XTC779719

This comes back as invalid.

VIN SAJPX114XTC779719

I'm on the road now and will reply just as soon as I am able.

I apologize for the delay.

The first step will be to remove the door panel. After the door panel is off then you'll reach in and can make sure the linkage is intact, if ok then you can remove the linkage, remove the latch bolts and remove the latch from the door.

To get the door panel off start by removing the cover under the door handle area, this will expose a screw that needs to be removed.

The wood insert will slide toward the door handle and can then be removed, there are three screws underneath.

There should be three screw hole covers on the arm rest, remove the covers and then the screws underneath.

From there the panel is held on with clips. You need to get behind the panel with a door panel clip tool or something similar and work your way around the panel popping the clips loose. When the clips have all been popped loose the the panel can be lifted upward to release it at the top.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician