Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2001 XJ8, 140000 miles 1) what causes transmissions

Customer Question

I have a 2001 XJ8, 140000 miles 1) what causes transmissions to fail, I have put in 2 since purchase, and I suspect prior owner had to put one in, and 2) have lots of undercarraige noise, could this be shocks, loose sway bar, springs or?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
What kind of transmission problems were you having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Transmission failed
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok usually the weak point on these were the forward drum as it will crack. The vehicle would have a hard time accelerating from a stop. This was an issue on the 98-03 transmissions. They came out with more robust internal components to prevent the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I have now replaced the transmission twice. Is there something I can do to assure that this will last. The transmission I put in had 70,000 miles on it. Do you have any thoughts on the second half of my question?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you would need to have your transmission rebuilt and overhauled with the most updated and improved components. A qualified transmission shop should be able to do this for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks what about the noise under the car. I have lots of undercarraige noise, could this be shocks, loose sway bar, springs or?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is usually the shocks or the front sway bar bushings and links. Drive the vehicle on a smooth road and make quick steering maneuvers rocking the weight of the vehicle side to side. If you hear the same noise that it makes over bumps then it is usually the sway bar. If no noise is present then it is usually the shocks or control arm balljoint/bushing. Mist likely shocks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.